12

Cookie

I exited the bus with Naelean hand in hand. We were to walk two more blocks to get to my landlords office.

"Mommy my feet hurt" Naelean whined. I could just barely hear her due to all the various sounds around us. She just started walking and she's been sitting for the past twenty minutes. I sighed and picked her up.

"Mommy I'm hungwy" I ignored her trying to not hit anyone on accident due to the crowded sidewalk.

"We're almost there" I said hoping she would stop complaining.

"But I'm hungwy!" I ignored her and kept walking. I reached my landlord office four minutes before it was to close.

"Hi can I speak to Mary Martinez" I asked the receptionist. She looked up from her computer after three minutes of silence to acknowledge me.

"You have an appointment?" I rolled my eyes at that question. They were going to close in minutes why would I need an appointment this late.

"No im just paying my rent"

"Next time get an appointment but she's in her office down that hall to the left her door has her name on it" I followed the directions before knocking on my landlords office.

"Come in" I hear from the other side. I put Naelean down and opened the door. We walked in and I pulled out my rent which was nearly in a envelope.

"Ahh Onika I see you got my note" I put in a fake smile. Good that she already knew what I was here for so I didn't have to have small talk with her.

"Yes I did...that's all the rent" I said handing it to her. She took it with a smile on her face.

"Thank you. Well you should be thanking me. But anywho as supervisor of the building you recently live in. I'm to tell all the tenants that they have two months to move out the building for it's being demolished to be made into some type of parking lot" My heart dropped. If it's not one thing its another.

"You got to be fucking kidding me" I muttered to myself. That shitty ass apartment may be trash but at least it kept me and my daughter safe from the outside, even though the roof tends to leak at least it helped us through the stormy nights and weathers and it held all of our belongings. Where am I going to find an apartment that doesn't require for you to pay Light and water bill just rent?

"I'm sorry but it wasn't my doing." The bitch had the nerve to smile. Sure she was nice to lean back on rent some days but the trick was pushing it.

"Yeah whatever" I said trying to act as if the news had no affect on me. One thing i hate is when people see me at my weakest. I don't care how much the pain is I won't dare cry in front of someone. I grabbed Naelean little hand and walked out the room then the building.

"Mommy my tummy hurts im hungwy" Naelean whined.

"Shut up Naelean" I shouted tugging at her hand a little. Bystanders looked at me as if I was a junky walking around nakedly. I heard her whimper so I looked down to see was crying. Just as we were about to approach the bus stop the bus leaves.

"Fuck!" I yelled in anger. It was like a desert out here and Naelean was already complaining. I sat on the bench feeling like my world was spinning faster than usual.

•••••

Millions

"Count that shit again" I said lighting up my blunt. I watched my accountant carefully as she counted the money herself then checked it with a money counting machine.

"It's the same $59,500" I scrunched up my face.

"Ight thanks ma...now get out" I said licking my lips looking at shawty as she gathered her things and rushed out my office. I went in my phone deciding to call my ugly ass sister.