71

Cookie

"Bubba hold mommy's purse." I said to her and handed it to her. She smiled and held it up like it was a trophy. I opened my truck and began filling it with the bags that contained supplies and groceries. I glanced over at Caia sitting in the cart as she smiled to herself and played with her fingers. For some reason I had a gut feeling to take her out and put her in the car.

I decided to listen to that feeling and took my child out, quickly placing her in her car seat so I could go back to putting the bags in my car.

"Mommy hurry my feet hurt." Naelean whined as she wiggled herself.

"Baby go sit in the car." She quickly shook her head.

"I don't want to leave you. Then you'll get stolen just like that lady did in that movie I watched with daddy and uncle Melly." I looked long and hard at my child before just going about my business. She went on and on about the movie explaining the parts that made her cry or jump in fear.

"Here." I handed her a Caprisun in hopes she would stop talking but of course nothing can get Naelean to stop talking. I closed my trunk and huffed when I heard Caia screaming her lungs out.

"Done-" before I got to finish my sentence bullets flew everywhere. I quickly grabbed Naelean pulling her to the ground and shielding her small body with mines. Shattered glass fell on top of us and Naelean screamed.

"Caia!" I screamed hearing her cries. I could feel Naeleans hot tears on my arm. As much as I wanted to cry I couldn't, I had to remain calm. I just said the verses from the bible and closed my eyes doing a short prayer. Naelean stopped crying and Caia's screams made my heart shatter. Just as I was about to get up and risk it anyways, it all stopped.

"THIS IS WAR!" I heard a guy with a strong accent scream. My head was spinning as people ran to us and some screamed "Call 911". I quickly got up and took in as much as air as I could. I looked down to see Naelean laid out on the floor with her eyes closed I quickly kneeled.

"Naelean! Baby. No no get up for mommy. Come on baby get up for mommy." I cried as I shook her body. There was blood leaking through her Barbie themed shirt. I quickly picked her up pushing anyone who was in my way. I pulled opened the driver's door and quickly placed her in the passenger. I cursed at myself because my keys were in my purse. I got it and ran to my bag that was on the floor I grabbed it and went back into my car while hearing everyone yelling and police sirens.

I looked back at Caia who was whining and had dried up tears and some glass in her car seat but no signs of cuts or anything.

Hours later                                                                                                                                                        MILLIONS

"Why isn't she answering my calls." I said getting frustrated while looking down at my phone. I called her like 20 times and all my calls were declined.

"She's probably busy with the girls. You know how Naelean can be." Kevin said as he let out a cloud of smoke. His phone started ringing and he huffed but reluctantly answered it.

"Nah she would've called back or something. I gotta go." I said looking down at my phone.

"What? Nah stop playing this aint nothing to joke about O." Kevin said getting up and dropping his midway finished blunt. I stared at him seeing his face harden. He hung up and cursed under his breath.

"What happened?"

"Check the news." He said with no kind of emotion in his voice.

"Yo Kevin cut all that bullshit out just tell me what's wrong." He gave a cold look. He wasn't going to tell me so I snatched the remote off of the table and flipped through the channels.