CHAPTER EIGHT

WE GOT out of the car and Kelvin helped with the grocery bags from the back. I tried to carry some but Kelvin stopped me, so I was left with opening the door for him as he made several trips from the car to the kitchen. When all the bags were safely inside, I shut the door and joined him in the kitchen.

"I hope you know you're done with soda?" he asked, resting his elbows on the counter top.

"Of course. I learnt a lot during my stay at the hospital and refined sugar is a big no-no for now."

"I'm glad we're both clear on that. I was also advised on ways to cope with your situation, so you have the best support system you could ever ask for."

"I appreciate that."

"If you don't mind my asking, why didn't you ever say something about your parents?"

"You never asked," I said. That still wasn't my favorite topic of discussion. I bit on my nails as Kelvin looked at me.

"I'm asking now, don't shut down on me."

I busied myself with taking groceries from the bags onto the counter. Kelvin was still waiting for an explanation. I paused and words came out in a rush. "They died in a car accident, I have no siblings. The only uncle I know doesn't stay in the country and he doesn't really keep in touch. The end."

That wasn't exactly right, my uncle had tried his best when my parents died. He had been grieving and I had been in denial. He had also taken me in while I was still in secondary school and couldn't care for myself. As soon as I got admission into a university few years later, he had left the country. I couldn't blame him thought, it couldn't have been easy taking care of your dead brother's child who unfortunately looked every bit like him.

Kelvin came around and took me into his arms, and I buried my face into the crook of his neck enjoying the warmth radiating off his body. I tried not to think too much about what I'd just said and the feel of his chest distracted me enough. We stayed like that for few minutes before Kelvin took his hands off my back and I stepped out of his warmth.

"I'm talking about it with my Psychiatrist, so you don't have to worry. I never really dealt with their passing, I guess I just didn't know the correct way to." I closed my eyes tightly so I wouldn't cry. "Binge eating helped, but it was the worse way of coping. I guess eventually, we all have to face our demons."

Kelvin tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear and didn't say anything. I went back to arranging the groceries while he watched. I filled the fridge with fresh, organic vegetables and fruits, then shut it with my hip.

"I bought you protein shakes, they're like pre-exercise snack," Kelvin said.

"Okay." I listened, trying not to miss a thing.

"For drinks, since you don't like plain water, the nutritionist thinks you can supplement it with lemon water, green tea or you can infuse your water with those berries I bought overnight before drinking."

"Noted. That's a great alternative, I'm looking forward to this lifestyle."

"Yea. We don't want to overwhelm you with too much. Just follow the instructions in the books and charts you were given. You'll have some cheat days but it'll be vegan options. I know a place where you can get vegan pizza and hamburgers so you won't really be missing the normal pizza."

"How do you know all of this?" I sat on one of the stools beside the granite counter top.

"I was counseled separately. Didn't I tell you that?" I shrugged and he continued. "Apparently, close friends and family members need to be coached in situations like yours so they can offer better advices and also know how to cope."