CHAPTER THREE

AS I DROVE out of the parking lot, I rolled down the driver's window and bid Dwayne goodbye. I smiled as his boisterous voice carried into the night when he replied me. Kelvin was standing by the sidewalk, his briefcase strapped on his shoulder while possibly waiting for a bus. I honked for his attention and saw him remove the earbuds from his ears.

He leaned forward as the window rolled down. "Hey, Fatimah. It's nice seeing you again," he said, making out my face with the help of the streetlights.

I laughed at his silliness and motioned for him to get in with a wave of my hand. I unlocked the passenger door and he said, "Nice car."

"Thanks. Where are you headed?"

"Surulere, I was waiting for the bus."

"Fortunately for you, I stay in the same area."

"No kidding."

I shook my head. "There's cookies in the glove compartment if you're interested," I said.

"Thanks, but no. Can I?" Kelvin motioned towards the radio.

"Of course, help yourself."

I pulled out and headed home. The traffic ahead had eased a bit, and I maneuvered for a while before getting a clearing. Kelvin was fiddling with the radio as songs he didn't approve of played. I tried not to be distracted by his presence but I occasionally spared him a glance or two as I drove. He didn't try to bring up anything after he turned off the radio, and I enjoyed the silence. It gave me time to lose myself into any idea I could come up with to perfect what I was currently working on.

Kelvin's voice cut through my thoughts as he told me the direction to his apartment. I followed his instructions and ended up in a street with several identical buildings. The street was filled with rows of five to six storey buildings. Well-manicured shrubs were planted a little closer to the curb to form different shapes.

"This is a nice neighborhood."

"I guess, I recently moved in. You can park there." He pointed at a tiny space that looked nothing like a car park. I turned off the engine and finally faced him.

"Thanks for the ride, I really appreciate it."

"It's nothing, and now I can tell the girls in the office where you live. I'm sure they will be interested in that tidbit of information," I said jokingly.

He laughed before replying. "They wouldn't care."

"I'm sure you know they would, a guy like you has to know the effect he has on women."

"It doesn't seem to be working on you though."

"I guess not," I said. My pants didn't catch fire for the lie and I almost applauded myself for sounding believable.

"Ouch, that hurts." He was holding onto his chest in a theatrical manner and I couldn't stop myself from laughing.

"It can't hurt that badly." I played along.

"You have no idea," Kelvin said as he opened the door and got out. "I'll see you tomorrow, drive safely." He waved and shut the door.

I watched him walk towards his apartment and called him before he got too far after having a battle with myself. He turned his back and waited for me to speak.

I leaned over and asked, "So, do you want me to get you tomorrow morning?"

"I thought you'd never ask. Yes, please, it would mean the world to me." Kelvin was leaning on the car as he bent, so I sat straight.

"What time will you be ready?"

"Five-thirty."

"I'll see you then. Bye, Kelvin."