CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

WHEN I finally moved into my new office after weeks of decorating, I brought my parents' picture that was always on my night stand and placed it on the desk. I wanted them to see what I had achieved. They had to be proud, and I imagined them smiling from above.

My office was plain and spacious. Maybe because the interior designer saw my cubicle and knew how claustrophobic it was, she made sure not to clutter my new one. I had a brown wooden desk that had unusual slanted stands, a brown chair that didn't groan when I sat and a brown bookshelf behind my chair. Everything in it was different from my cubicle, even the air was crispy thanks to the new air conditioner. I had a little view of the city, and I could see the little details that made it whole if I stood by the window and turned the shutters.

The interior decorator had added three pieces of artworks, and she placed them side by side on the wall. The flooring complemented the wallpaper as well as giving the room an elevated look. I could spend all day in the office as I loved everything about the new space.

Gwyneth paid me a visit as I was caressing the beautiful white lamp on my desk. I was expecting Kelvin so I was a little bit disappointed when she entered.

"Is there anything I can do for you, Gwyneth?" I stood and arranged my desk, trying to look busy so she could take the hint and leave me alone.

"How did you do it?" she asked, looking at me like I was an ant she could flick with her fingers.

"Do what?" I asked confidently.

"Get this position. I went to Abuja, I should be getting this spot not you."

"And I worked on the project which was successful. Like the boss said, I earned it."

"I don't know what you did or how you did it, just know it's not going to last."

I was taken aback by the venom I heard in her voice. "Shouldn't you be getting tired of this charade by now. You're beautiful and intelligent, so why do I bother you so much?"

She held her head high. "You do not bother me. I can smell a scam from miles away and you're one. Your new body won't change that."

"Frankly, I'm tired of being nice to you when all I get back is bitterness. Get out of my office, now!"

"Enjoy your little victory while it lasts," Gwyneth said as she cat walked out of my office.

I didn't let her bother me for a second, she was inconsequential and I refused to waste a thought on her. When Akin asked to see me for lunch, I gladly gave in. I was buzzing with excitement and I was sure he'd want to hear all about my new space.

"How's the new office?" he asked as we found a sit at a park outside the office building.

We shared a large bowl of fruit salad together, and I bit into a big piece of mango before talking.

"Great, I'm as high as a kite. It smells new and it's not as small as my former cubicle."

"That's wonderful. Are you still angry at Seye?"

I had told Akin some part of the story while excluding the part where he came in. I wasn't stupid enough to tell him about Kelvin's reaction when Seye and Danielle talked about his actions in their make believe tale.

"I'm not. I only wanted her to correct her mistake and I'm sure she hasn't."

"You really don't want to be fighting with your friends for so long. Whatever she did, she did to help you. It might not have gone the way you wanted it, but it wasn't malicious."

"I know. It just made me so angry. Kelvin is avoiding me because of what she did."

"You guys will be fine in the end," he said as if he was tired of trying to make me see reason. "Real friends don't fight for long."