CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

THE NEXT time I saw Seye she was at my desk trying to convince me to go out with her and Danielle.

"I don't want to go," I replied for the umpteenth time.

My fingers flew across the screen as I typed my weekly report. Seye switched off my monitor and I paid all attention to her.

She smiled. "Why not? It's going to be fun."

"I don't want to go anywhere with either of you unless I have someone with me because I can't be the third wheel. I'm not settling for that."

This wasn't the first time she was inviting me out, and my answer was always the same. My gut told me she sensed there was some tension between I and kelvin. I guess this was her way of carrying me along so I'm not alone and bored.

"I could invite Kelvin but I think he's going to be out also," she slid in.

"Out where?" I asked before I could stop myself.

"You don't know?"

"Know what?"

"He has a date with one of Danielle's friends. She's worried he's alone by himself, so she's trying to set him up."

My heart literally broke into pieces as Seye spoke. Seye must have noticed my crestfallen face because she stopped talking and paused.

"Are you okay?"

"Yea. I didn't know Kelvin was interested in going on dates."

"And?"

"That's all. It's surprising." She stared at me and I stood. "I need to use the bathroom. I'll be right back."

I rushed to the bathroom and got a tissue to soak my tears in as I cried. I couldn't believe Kelvin would willingly go on a date with anyone else after his breakup. I had hoped that it was going to be a chance for us to finally be together, we were both not in a relationship, and we'd recently just had sex. That should have meant something to him but it obviously didn't.

The bathroom door opened and I saw Seye come in, she took in my appearance and came to hug me.

"What's happening?"

"I don't know, everything is just a mess." I wept.

"What exactly?"

"Kelvin, why is he going out on dates? I thought he loved me, we had sex again."

"Wait a goddamn minute, what do you mean again?"

I sniffed before answering, "We had sex the night we went to the club."

"How come you didn't tell me?"

"He said we should act like it never happened so I couldn't tell anyone. He was also in a relationship, I didn't want to ruin it."

"And the next time?"

"The time Alex broke up with him and I went to check on him. He was hurting and when he said he needed me, I didn't think twice about it."

"What happened next?"

"He said it shouldn't have happened and that made me mad. He practically begged me for sex then made me feel ashamed for giving in."

"Why would he do that? Have you guys spoken since then?"

I shook my head. "He's been calling but I haven't picked his calls and he never came by my desk to talk."

"He's really an asshole then."

I wanted to come to his defense as I normally did but thought against it. "What if he gets in a new relationship, I don't think I can survive that again."