CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

I CHECKED my face in the compact mirror once again and honked, a car was right in front of me and it refused to move. My phone rang and I saw it was Kelvin calling, again.

"I'm on my way, you'll see me very soon," I snapped without letting him talk.

I ended the call and honked again. A man from the car came over to knock on my window, I rolled it down and smiled. He explained that the car was faulty and I would have to join the other lane, the other cars behind me honked as we conversed. I showed him the little concern I could muster regarding his situation, and when he left I tried to squeeze in between lanes so I could join the moving cars. I got cursed at and insulted by other drivers, but I ignored them and sped off.

I was late for Kelvin's birthday party and that was all that mattered. The traffic had been grueling enough and on top of that, a car had blocked my path. I took in a deep breath and tried to control my sour mood. I tried smiling to lighten my mood and it worked. By the time I got to Kelvin's house, I was back to my normal self. I knocked on the door and wondered how anyone would hear me with the music playing loudly in the background. I was eventually let inside by someone who introduced herself as Kelvin's sister, she looked so young and willowy. She had a giant lip-shaped balloon in her hand and she gave it to me before I was shown to the kitchen.

The house had gone through so many changes, I noticed as I walked to the kitchen. There were balloon decorations overheard and twinkling light were placed on the TV and console. The room was filled with people holding their red, party cups. Some guys were at the dining table watching something on a laptop. I saw Kelvin in the kitchen mixing drinks and I went over to hug him, he pecked me sweetly on the cheek.

"We've been waiting for you. What was the delay?"

"Traffic, I had to get you a gift before coming. Happy birthday, big head. Here." I gave him the wrapped gift and the balloon.

"Thanks. What do you want to drink?"

"What's available?" I took a stool and sat.

"Vodka, Tequila, Hennessy, fruit juice, soda and punch."

"I'll start with soda." Never tequila, I was avoiding trouble.

Kelvin added a shot of vodka to my Fanta and handed it over to me.

"I need to introduce you to my sisters."

"Alright, but I've met one already."

"Not formally."

I got my purse from the countertop and went to the living room with him. Kelvin introduced me to his two sisters and I nodded. They were both young and pretty, I couldn't expect less from people related to Kelvin as he was good looking. I smiled as they talked even though I could barely make out their sentences over the loud music.

Alex came out to join us and we shared a hug. I complimented her on the success of the party and she grinned. I replaced the soda with beer from the pack lying around and took some small chops on the center table to fill my tummy. People were dancing and laughing, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. My eyes trailed after Kelvin as he went around the room chatting and smiling with his guests. He walked out of the room with Alex on his arms and I searched for something interesting to feed my eyes on.

Seye and some of Kelvin's friends came to drag me to join them in a game of cards, but I left after I was thoroughly beaten. There was no fun in playing a game I couldn't win. I was surprised Akin wasn't invited since he knew Alex. I was mulling over this when I went to the balcony and took in a bit of fresh air. Kelvin's house was clouded with smoke from different people inhaling and puffing shisha, and I was concerned I could develop lung cancer just from second hand inhalation. Seye joined me at the balcony and disrupted the peace I was thoroughly enjoying.

"You're always hiding," she said.

"I'm in plain view," I protested.

"Everyone is inside."

"I took a break. Why are you here anyway? I thought you would be making out with some stranger by now."

"I don't want to be that person anymore."

"Seriously?" I asked doubtfully.

"Nah, just kidding," she said with a wave. "My gay radar hasn't just picked on anyone yet."

"Gay radar?"

"Isn't it self-explanatory?"

"It is, how do you coin words like that?"

"It's 'gayder' actually but I have to make it understandable to you 'hetero'."

She lit a stick of cigarette and I inhaled as much unpolluted air as I could before it became foul.

"So you smoke."

"Occasionally."

I watched as she dragged smoke into her lungs, and when she puffed some out, I spoke, "I came to the balcony to get some fresh air."

"My bad." She made a show of putting the cigarette out. "I wouldn't want to annoy Miss. Perfect Patty."

"You're an ass."

"I'm sorry. It was a joke."

"I wasn't offended. I know you don't mean half of the things you say."

She looked me in the eye. "No one else can know this."

I laughed at the playfulness in her voice. I was tempted to ruffle her new hairstyle which was a pixie cut, but I knew my arm could be chopped off in the process and I couldn't risk that. I kept my hands to myself and shrugged.

"Your secret is safe with me," I said.

I went to the kitchen to get water and saw one of Kelvin's sisters sitting on the countertop. She was the one who had the pink, bob haircut and she was wearing a very short, frill hem, denim dress. Her high, boot clad feet kicked and she watched me strangely.

"Are you enjoying the party?" she asked when she noticed me.

I nodded then said, "Yea."

I took a bottle of water from the fridge and gulped while she still watched.

"So what's up with you and my brother?"

"What?"

Was I that obvious? The water I was drinking went the wrong way and I coughed loudly. Kelvin's sister watched me as I was trying to catch my breath without offering any assistance. I could even see a hint of smile play on her purple painted lips.