CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

I WENT to Akin and took him to the kitchen sink to clean his cut.

"You shouldn't have hit him back," I said, admonishing him.

"Oh! You expected me to be your boyfriend's punching bag."

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Do you know how long he has been waiting to do that? He hates my guts because he feels threatened by my presence."

"Stay still," I said as he flinched when I used antiseptic on the wound.

I tightened my grip on the countertop to keep from fainting as a drop of blood trickled down his face. I threw the cotton wool in the trash when I was done and washed my hands by the sink.

"I know I deserved this and more for what I did to you but not from him. I'm sorry for hurting you," Akin said taking my wet hand in his.

"It's okay, you did it for a good cause. I know that doesn't make it right but I understand."

"Thank you. Are we still friends?"

"We are." I opened my arms for a hug and he came into my embrace.

"I'm sorry," he repeated. "I think I should go. PJ is going to be wondering what's keeping me," Akin said when we stood apart.

"Go then."

"Aren't you going to see Kelvin?"

"Not now."

"Why not?"

"I don't know."

"I'll drop you off at his house. Let's go."

I went out with Akin and when PJ saw his bloodied face, he rushed over.

"What happened?"

"Nothing you have to worry yourself about. It's not going to happen again." He turned to me. "I don't think I've formally introduced you to PJ, Fatimah."

"No, you haven't."

"This is my ex-boyfriend now current boyfriend, PJ."

PJ blushed as he was introduced as the boyfriend. "It's a pleasure meeting you. I hope you don't hate me?" I asked.

"Not anymore," PJ said.

We all laughed at that and got into the car. I was dropped off in front of Kelvin's place and I knocked on the door. Kelvin opened the door and retreated back into the house without saying anything to me. I entered and went after him.

"What's it, Fatimah?" he asked when I grabbed his arm, stopping him in the process.

"How is your nose?"

"I'm not dead. How is your boyfriend?"

"He's not my boyfriend." I was literally aging from replying that sentence over and over again. "Can we sit?"

Kelvin sat far away from me. "What do you want, Fatimah?"

"Why did you come over to my place?"

"I came to apologize for acting childish when I heard you were sleeping with him."

"It was a lie though. Seye and your sister thought it was going to be funny seeing your reaction."

"And you went along with it."

I stood up in frustration. "When have you known me to be immature? What's wrong with you? You're suddenly so annoying. You get angry at the slightest provocation."

"Watch your mouth," Kelvin said with annoyance proving my point.

"Why should I?"

He stood from his seat and came over to where I was standing.