+stuart+

TITLE : HEARTS ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN

WARNINGS : angst , heartbreaking , cute backstory , mention of anxiety

SUMMARY : (Y/N) has been awaiting for Stuart to get home after not hearing from him in months, but is immediately devastated at his return.

WORDS : 1139

SONG : Till The End - Jessie Ware

SHE COULDN'T help the adrenaline that rushed through her as she bounced happily around the crowded house

SHE COULDN'T help the adrenaline that rushed through her as she bounced happily around the crowded house. She greeted everyone lively, a gorgeous smile gracing her features. Today was an extremely special day for (Y/N) as she would see someone she hasn't seen in three months. That someone being Stuart Twombly.

The two had been inseparable since practically birth, their mothers having been best friends for the longest time. The two grew up together and created a strong connection. They planned out their whole future together.

When Stuart told her he got the Google Internship, she was happy for him but devastated at the same time. They hadn't gone more than a few days without seeing each other, and here he was about to leave for a few months.

Surprisingly, (Y/N) has never seen Stuart with another girl besides herself. She couldn't imagine anybody not falling for the gorgeous man. His chocolatey brown hair would always styled perfectly, and (Y/N) found herself wanting to run her fingers through it. His eyes were another story all together.

She always found herself staring into them, capturing every speak of light brown she could. She would then capture every mole that littered his skin like a constellation of stars, until her eyes would land on the upturned nose that she found adorable.

He used to never wear glasses. He never needed them and still doesn't. But, (Y/N) would always wear glasses with thick frames that practically covered her whole face. When Stuart was leaving for the internship, (Y/N) decided that she would give him the glasses to remind him of her every day in San Francisco.

(Y/N) never really thought of why she had never dated anyone or had thought of becoming infatuated with someone. She had an unspoken promise with herself that she was saving herself. She figured Stuart was doing the same, but her hopes were gone as soon as he left.

He didn't text or call her the whole summer, which broke her heart. She tried to convince herself that he was just busy and had a lot of work to do, but deep down she knew that wasn't true.

So, she decided to admit her feelings for him when he got home. She could almost feel the anxiety seeping through her skin like sap, trying to escape and explode in her wake.

"(Y/N)!" The familiar voice of Mrs. Twombly startled her slightly, pulling (Y/N) out of her thoughts. She turned around to the see the dark haired woman walking towards her with a wide smile.

"Hello, Mrs. Twombly-"

"Please, call me Diana you know that," Diana brought (Y/N) into a tight hug, the smell of pine trees invading her nostrils. "So, Stuart will be here any second, just a heads up."

(Y/N) played with her hair nervously and nodded hesitantly. The reality of what she was going to do began to hit her, and she began to feel sick to her stomach.

"O-Okay, I'm just going to use the restroom." (Y/N) didn't wait for a response before she took off, leaving a worried Diana behind. Making her way up the steep stairway, she felt heavier with each step.

She found herself in Stuart's old bedroom, the familiar navy walls and smells invading her. She slowly made her way towards the bed in the center of the room, and sat down with a sigh. Her eyes drifted towards the picture on his wooden nightstand, and she felt her heart immediately warm at the picture.

It was of her and Stuart when they went to a county fair together. They were on the farris wheel smiling at the camera with complete and utter happiness etched on their faces. Stuart's hair was tossed in every direction on his head, while (Y/N) has a beanie atop hers. Her glasses adored her face making her look completely ridiculous, in her opinion.

The door opened hastily making (Y/N) jump in her place. The familiar face of Stuart made (Y/N)'s bloom bright red, and she stood up gulping, no words escaping her mouth. Stuart seemed just as shocked to see her, and his mouth open and closed like a fish out of water.

"Hi." (Y/N) managed to say quietly, her voice strained slightly making Stuart purse his lips as awkwardness consumed the air between them.

"(Y/N), w-what are you doing here?" Stuart asked while closing the door and running a hand through his brown lop of hair, moving closer towards the flustered woman.

"I wanted to see you," (Y/N) told him, pausing to take a deep breathe and redeem herself. "You...you didn't text or call me all summer. Why?"

Stuart's face immediately fell as a unknown emotion took over his face. Closing his eyes, he inhaled deeply while pursing his lips once again, a stalling habit of his.

"I was busy." Stuart looked away from (Y/N), avoiding eye contact and she immediately knew he was being deceitful.

"You don't look people in the eyes when you lie." (Y/N) spoke gently and could feel the tears in her eyes. Her vision began to blur and she felt Stuart lay his hand on her cheek.

"I'm sorry, so so sorry. I met someone, okay? And I thought that maybe she would help me get over what I can't have. What I don't deserve to have ... and it's you (Y/N)."

She was at lost for words. Knowing that he had been with someone else that whole summer put a bitter taste in her mouth, and heart. But also knowing he shared the same feelings made her regretful. Regretful that she was so blind and naive with herself. Tears ran down her cheek and onto his hand, sobs racketing from her throat.

"Please, don't cry." Stuart's voice broke as he felt himself begin to tear up at the broken hearted woman. She bit her lip to keep herself composed, but that didn't keep her lip from trembling.

She wiped her tears away while brushing off Stuart's warm hand off her cheek, an void taking over her full and loving heart.

"(Y/N)-"

"I'm going to head home." She told him looking away from his intense eyes, not wanting to be in the room for a second longer. Stuart shook his head about to speak up but she beat him to it. "I'll see you around, Stuart."

She walked out of the room without another word and an explanation from Stuart. She didn't return his calls or texts that night, leaving him in the dust just as he did to her. She also figured out two things after that night. One, maybe hearts were meant to be broke; two, sometimes hearts need more time to accept what your mind already knows.