|Ch 7| The Mafia's Queen

Nightmare's

The week came and went like the wind and before he knew it Stephanie was kissing his cheek goodbye, her arms tightly clutched around her father's waist as she prepares to leave for college.

The circumstances bringing Eduardo back to the day he and Delilah first took Stephanie into kindergarten where she had clutched his waist with a grip tighter than an anaconda.

She was a little girl not wanting to go to school knowing her father will not be there. It was happening all over again. Now, however, Stephanie does the same but this time it hurts more as she was going to be far away from her Papa.

 She would be so far away that she won't see him until the next holiday break in December.

Kindergarten was a breeze compared to the pain she feels now but everything good comes with consequences and this is no exception. So ignoring the tug at her heart she bits her tongue to stop from sobbing out loud and clenches her eyes tightly to keep the tears at bay.

Feeling her father caress the back of her head she bites her tongue harder drawing blood, "Do you have everything honey?" Eduardo asks his voice cracking with emotions his arms tightening around Stephanie's tiny waist not wanting to let go.

Sadly nodding her head she looks up to stare into her father's eyes one last time knowing she won't see him for a few months.

Hazel meeting brown, both shimmer back with unshed tears as their time together was coming to an end. Stephanie's future awaits her and the first stages come without her father being by her side.

"Yes Papa, oh I almost forgot," she exclaims in a croaking voice when she remembers she wanted to give her father something she knows he would dearly want back.

Eduardo gives his daughter a puzzled look and watches as she pulls out something from the pocket of her floral dress.

Feeling the object in her hand Stephanie pulls it out and smiles nervously before handing her father the promise ring that belonged to her mother knowing it was him who had bought it for her mother when they were younger.

Looking at the object his daughter had given him, Eduardo silently gasps at the sight of the missing ring which he never found after losing his wife. The single silver band embedded with small clear diamonds shines back at him with a twinkle.

The object having possessed the ability of making him weep for a months time was finally returned and he felt his heart soften and old memories resurface.

Noticing the shock displayed on her father's face Stephanie grabs his hand opening his palm and places it safely in his palm before he encloses the wring in a fisted cage.

Biting onto her bottom lip nervously Stephanie swallows deeply before explaining where she found the ring, "I found it on Thursday along with a letter from mom and I know she would want you to have it," Stephanie confesses her expression turning into a frown as she notices the tears now cascading down her fathers cheeks.

"Oh my Principessa what would I do without you," Eduardo exclaims wiping his tears with a small smile and hearty laugh.

Shrugging her shoulders she smiles back at him sadly, "It's simple really, you would be a mess," she teases making her father laugh in agreement.

A honk sounds from behind them and there in her blue fiat uno was Emily who sends them both a sad smile before getting out of her car and hugging Eduardo the man that she always saw as her father after having lost her father in a car accident when she was only one.