Chapter 17: Emotional Explanation

"If you really want to, fine." Melissa says jerking her hands from him. She takes a deep breathe. "Dad's dead! Mom's dead! Our parents are dead! And I had to grieve by myself." Melissa says with hints of sadness and anger. "I know. I had to grieve alone also." Peter says. "No, you chose to grieve alone. You could've came back. There was no reason you couldn't, I just want to know why you didn't come back, why you left, and why you went after dad in the first place." Melissa says starting to tear up. "I can't tell you that." Peter says looking down. "Then we have nothing more to talk about." Melissa says looking away.

Peter turns around. "You remember what happened at Wul in the 92nd millennia?" Peter asks. "Of course I do." Melissa says with her back facing his. "We both know I'm a time anomaly." Peter says. "You were still there. With mom, with dad, with me. You, Peter. A time anomaly we all love, loved in some people's cases." Melissa says looking down like he is. "It's hard to love when one's dead." Peter says thinking of his mom and his dad. "Yeah. It is." Melissa agrees. "Melissa, both of us know that one day I'm going to have to be corrected. One day, none of this will matter." Peter says. "I don't believe that, McClain understands what family is. He has a son, after all. He wouldn't 'correct' something that doesn't need to be corrected." Melissa says. "If that's true, then I have something to admit." Peter says. "What's that?" Melissa asks.

"I didn't want to be in your shadow. Dad and mom, they loved you more. You always beat me, you were the smarter, faster, and stronger one. I didn't go back because I thought you didn't need me. I'm sorry, I really am." Peter says facing her. "It's alright. I'm sorry I always beat you at everything." Melissa says facing him and smiling. "Tomorrow, when Roderick makes his move, I want you to go home." Peter says. "What? Why?" Melissa asks shocked. "I'm going to prove I can do something without your help." Peter says smiling. "Alright, but you better come to Zaleth right after." Melissa says hugging him. "There's one thing I did beat you at actually." Peter points out as he hugs her. "Hmm?" Melissa asks. "I was always taller." Peter says laughing. Melissa laughs with him also as it starts to rain on them while they hug.