Chapter 36| Mate

❗️I just want to say that the stuff I mention in this chapter isnt fiction, it is true, this is how alcoholism and troubled pasts are dealt with in the (British) military apparently. It's a part of what my brother does so I've just asked him a few questions to make this chapter work❗️

Little extra chapter for you all. Enjoy🤗

As always, don't forget to comment and vote😌

...

Emma POV:

It was now Friday afternoon and I quickly went and said goodbye to Killian before running out the school doors and into my Dad's truck. "Hey Princess" He cheered as I hugged him into my side. "Hi Dad!" I said happily.

Things were (mostly) back to how they should have been before Dad went missing. I managed to convince Killian not to drink for the last few days but I could see it was just consuming his mind; he was irritable, tired, almost weak. He completely flipped out on Neal in class to day and for good reasoning but I haven't seen him that angry since before we were dating. I didn't know what to do so I just gave him the most calming, sympathetic smile I could muster and he did calm down.

I just wish I knew what he was thinking.

"D-Dad," I said quietly as we pulled into the drive. "What's up Emma?" He said as he switched off the engine and turned in his seat. "Dad I was wondering if you could talk to Killian well- soon. He really needs to talk but I don't want to push him. He's grumpy and if I'm honest, I think he's scared when he's just by himself. I just want my happy Killian back" I explained as a tear rolled down my cheek. "I know princess, it's hard watching someone you love be hurt." He brought me into his arms and kissed the top of my head. "Of course I'll talk to him. Maybe tonight? I can see you're scared and I don't like that." He said as he let go. I simply nodded.

When I entered the house I went straight to the phone and started dialling his number. "What are you doing?" My Dad asked. "Calling him?" I said questionably. "You know his number off by heart?!" He laughed. "Dad I'm his girlfriend, of course I do!" I laughed even harder. "You're who's girlfriend?" I heard my mom say from the door. Me and my Dad both froze, looked at each other then back to my Mom. "No one!" We said frantically in unison before we smirked at each other. "Hmm" She hummed as she wrapped her arms round my Dad's shoulders. "How's your day been Emma?" She asked with a radiant beam. I smiled, slightly suspicious, "its been good" I said awkwardly as I looked at the phone. "Hey, I have to go make a phone call, I'll be back in a minute."

I leaped upstairs and sat on my bed. I pressed the green button and it began to ring. "Hello?" His deep voice echoed; he sounded tired, really really tired. "Hey" I said quietly. "Oh, hello love" he sounded a bit brighter. "Look, my Dad wants to have that conversation with you Killian, preferably tonight. I'm just worried but if you can't-". "Hey Emma, you're rambling. I would love to talk to your father. Just come round whenever you want." He slightly chuckled but I could tell he was nervous. "I love you" He said quietly and I slowly felt my heart melt. "I love you too. We're going to get though this" I said before we said goodbye.

After we ate dinner me and Dad began driving to his apartment and I was getting nervous but I was excited at the possibility that this would be over with soon.

We pulled up and I showed Dad up to his apartment and I knocked lightly. A few seconds later the door swung wide and Killian stood there in a t-shirt and jeans. Navy on him- I swear it does things to me.

"Hi" I said shyly as I fell into his chest where he held me tight for a good minute. I felt him snuggling his nose into my hair occasionally but then I remembered my Dad was just stood there awkwardly. "I'm such a 3rd wheel" he said and laughed awkwardly as him and Killian engaged in a 'bro hug'.