3.5

Bao Xi sulked even more. He knows that he's acting like a lovesick girl but he can't help it.

Le Chen was his bestfriend when they were still in college. They hang out together, have fun together but that was all when he still hadn't confessed his feelings to him.

Yes, he confessed his ambiguous feelings for Le Chen on the day of their graduation in college. Ever since that day he hasn't seen Le Chen and he probably wouldn't have known that this was his first love if Le Hua didn't tell him his name. He changed a lot, his looks and even his height grew so much.

Le Chen became a right-hand man general, while he became a scientist. The day he confessed his feelings for him, Le Chen just stared at him with his stoic face, he didn't reject his feelings nor did he accept it. He just did... nothing.

It was Bao Xi's first real heartbreak and it was awful. His family sent him to a Medical School abroad, he didn't even get to say goodbye to Le Chen. Bao Xi knows that Le Chen indirectly rejected his feelings, he may have not said anything that time but when Le Chen walked away from him, from where he was standing, he knew that it was over for his feelings.

For years, Bao Xi wanted to find Le Chen but failed. Bao Xi can accept that Le Chen will not return his feelings but he can't and won't accept that their almost a decade of friendship will be gone just like that.

But what Hu Tian woke him up, for the second time he fell again. He was falling for the same person again, for the same man that broke his heart, the same person he swore he wouldn't ever fall to, never again.

"What's on your mind? Why such a long face?" Hu Tian asks the rarely serious Bao Xi while he taps his pen on the table.

The tapping of the pen is the only sound inside the lab. Le Hua is busy doing nothing, Le Chen is reading while Qi Lu is looking at Bao Xi and Hu Tian.

He's never this serious before, even when killing zombies, he's never this serious and focused.

"I'm just wondering how painful last goodbye is." Bao Xi said softly but enough for them to hear.

Hu Tian stopped his tapping pen and after a while resumed tapping it again.

"The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained."

Hu Tian stop tapping his pen as he remembered his past lover, Yu Yan. He didn't even get to say goodbye to him.

"Hu Tian, you've... experienced heartbreak before?" Bao Xi asks the solemn Hu Tian.

Qi Lu felt that Hu Tian was very mysterious man. Sometimes he just stops and stares at nothingness before continuing his work and now these words. He really wants to peel him layer by layer to know who and what he really is.

"En." Hu Tian answered while he lowered his eyes and stared at the pen he is holding.

"Woah! Tell us the story! But wait...you told me before that you don't remember your life when you were a hu---" Bao Xi immediately said but was cut off by Hu Tian,

"It's better to keep it to myself but what I can say is that never chase love, affection or attention. If it isn't given freely by another person, it isn't worth having." Hu Tian said as he looks at Le Chen and then back at Bao Xi.

"Ohh..." Bao Xi replied and just buried his head in his knee again.

"If you don't make an effort why do you think you deserve that person's love and affection?" The usual quiet Qi Lu said surprising the two other people inside the cell.

Did their Supreme Commander say those words just now? What the fuck...

"Love doesn't require effort. No matter how much effort you give, if that person doesn't like you, he doesn't, don't push yourself too hard because the consequences will be severe. Love works in mysterious ways." Hu Tian said and looks at Qi Lu who's staring at him.

"Why are we talking about love? We're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Love is shit, we need survival." Le Hua said as he looks at the four people. 

"It's because you're a hopeless romantic that you can't relate to the topic." Bao Xi said a little bit to honest.

Le Hua's face cracked a little, sure he's hopeless romantic but he is pretty sure that survival comes first at this time.

"Let's stop talking this nonsense. I think that you guys are okay now. Maybe w---" before Hu Tian can finish his words Qi Lu and Bao Xi protested at the same time.

"No!"

Hu Tian looks at Bao Xi but what really had him puzzled was Qi Lu, who's suppose to be happy that he'll be out from the cell.

"Do you like being inside the cell that much?" Hu Tian ask Qi Lu who's clearly upset.

"No, we're going with you. You're finding a cure right? We'll also help, we shouldn't move hastily and go back to the base abruptly without preparing ourselves to face the enemy."

Hu Tian looks at them suspiciously while Bao Xi was clearly happy as well as Le Hua.

For the past few days that they've been together they know  Bao Xi and Hu Tian are not vicious. Although Hu Tian is a zombie he never tried to eat Bao Xi who's a living human flesh or them.

The fact that this zombie is looking for a cure makes it much more trustable than just his personality.

----------