Chapter XVII

Sunday, June 19, 2016
2 Weeks Left

"So, it's my last day before I'm under house, err, hospital arrest." Dean mention absentmindedly, twisting the small necklace around, back and forth, back and forth, like a clock ticking on and on. "Where should we go?" He asked.

"What were you thinking?" Cas asked, looking up at Dean, who was laying in his bed. The harsh white lighting, while making most people look strange, had no affect on Castiel. He was as beautiful as ever.

"Something, probably not just around the city, that gets boring, maybe we could stop by a restaurant or something," Dean suggested. He didn't really care, though, just somewhere where he and Cas could be just him and Cas.

"You're probably going to think this is cheesy." Cas started, smiling for a brief second. "You remember the church where you admitted you liked me?"

"Yeah." Dean held the necklace in his palm, remembering how he picked the shard of glass off the floor.

"We could go there." Cas suggested. "It's not the most eventful thing in the world, of course, but—" He was cut off as Dean gave him a quick kiss.

"It sounds good, Cas." Dean told him when they let go. "Ridiculously cheesy, of course, but good." Dean said. Cas smiled, and Dean grabbed his crutches, so they could spend Dean's last day somewhere special.

~~~

The walk there was shorter than it had been the first time, probably because they knew an easier way there, instead of wondering all over town mindlessly. It was extremely hot outside, by the time they got there, Dean's face was red and his forehead lined with beads of sweat. Cas didn't look like he was strolling through Antarctica either.

They walked back into the abandoned church, where Dean first told Cas that he liked him. That felt like a lifetime ago to Dean, even though it was a little over a week ago. It still stood there, old and broken, probably going to be to demolished soon, but it was still there. Almost as if it was a metaphor about Dean, broken, about to die, but still here, still standing, even if it's barely holding up.

The sunlight was still a rainbow passing through the glass, and the holes on the roof still showed the trees. It was the exact same place, but it felt different, more inviting, more familiar.

"Want to sit down?" Cas asked, pointing to the one of the only pews that wasn't broken. It was on the left side of the church, where the most of the late afternoon light streamed through the broken windows. Dean hadn't realized how much his legs hurt earlier, so he nodded, and they walked over to the bench, taking a seat. It was that one shade of wood, the shade that almost looks fake, the vibrant medium color. It had been shined once, seeing the reflective tone in spots.

Cas rested his head against Dean's shoulder. "You okay?" Dean asked, seeing that Cas looked upset.

"Yes, I'm good." Cas said. Dean didn't believe him. He had seemed tired and upset all day, like something happened last night that Cas stayed up late thinking about.

"Are you sure? You can always tell me." Dean asked, He wasn't trying to pressure Cas into talking, no, only remind Cas that he's always here for him.

Cas was silent, as if he was thinking about something. "Do you remember when I was wary when you mentioned my dad?" Cas asked. Dean remembered, one of those memories that was a combination of a haze and crystal clear. For a moment he was transported back then, the dim lighting of Cas' room, and how Cas froze for a second when Dean mentioned his dad, while they were talking about their family.