Part 2: Prologue

To Light and Kokona, they both thought that the fight was over. L was dead, and Watari had just joined the detective in the deep, empty darkness that was death. With them gone, the only "threat" that Kira had to face was the taskforce. But he was leading that, so it wasn't much of a threat at all. Kira was ruling, and there was no longer anyone left to stop him at all.

Or at least, that was what he thought.

Almost 6 thousand miles away from Kira, in Winchester, England, was a beautiful orphanage. Created by Watari himself, this orphanage wasn't like any other. It was home only to the brightest minded children in all of Earth; and the greatest of these were to replace L and become his successor.

However, there were two students that both had the potential to become the successor to the greatest detective that the world had ever seen. L had been deciding which of them would be chosen when he had passed away, so the selection had never been made. Maybe L had chosen, maybe it was simply that he was murdered before he could let Roger - who was in charge of the orphanage - know who he had chosen. Maybe he hadn't made his choice yet at all. Maybe he had purposefully not picked his successor yet; maybe he wanted the two candidates decide what to do on their own. Whatever the reason was, L had not made his choice.

So when the news of his death reached the Wammy's House, Roger was left having to make his own decision on what to do with the two genius children.

The one who had the highest grades and was the most calm and collected seemed at first glance to be the best choice. After all, Roger knew this child would grow to be definitely able to outsmart Kira. He always thought through everything he was faced with, and never rushed into anything. However, he lacked action, something that the other child did not lack in the least bit.

The second was not as calm as the first, nor did he think through everything as carefully as him. But he was still a genius, and he was always prepared to take action himself. Unlike the first, he would willingly step in and do the intense jobs himself, while the first would most likely hire someone. He had the initiative that the first child lacked.

Both were geniuses, and both seemed to be different halves that made up L. If they could work together, Roger had no doubt that they would be able to beat Kira with ease; perhaps more efficiently than L could alone. The only problem was that the second, hated the first with a passion. He knew he would never agree to work with him, under any circumstance. Roger wasn't even sure if he would be willing to work with the first even if L himself had come to the orphanage and commanded it.

But Roger took the chance anyways, and called both of the young boys to his office. He alerted them of L's death, and he asked them to work together to avenge L. Both boys reacted just as Roger had expected; the first was willing, and the second completely freaked out. He said he could never work with the first, that they despise each other too much. It would never work; they had  to be separate.

Then, the boy did something that Roger most certainly never would have predicted. He gave up his chance at succession, and said that the first boy should have that. Then, he said he was leaving. He was old enough; he was almost 15 years old. That was what he told Roger. 

So the boy left the room, walked to his own, and began packing. And the first boy began preparing to take over L's case, and finish it for him.

Thus began the start of the yet unknown second war that Kira would now be facing.