ENDING EXPLANATIONS

So I asked you guys if you wanted me to post an ending explanation chapter and I got an overwhelming amount of "yes"s (and by overwhelming amount I mean one person said yes)

SO NOW IMA EXPLAIN IT TO ALL OF YOU 

Also if you have any questions about things I don't cover here just comment them and Ill answer them.

"WHY DIDN'T LIGHT KNOW KOKONA WAS GONNA KILL HIM"

If you look back, Kokona had not spoken to Light in person after C's death, besides when she did kill him. 

C's death honestly drove Kokona insane. She wasn't thinking straight at all. 

While Kokona had never liked Light all that much, she was ALWAYS very loyal to Kira. She would never have even thought about killing Light ever... Until C's death. That prevented her from thinking clearly, and she was just so angry. Light didn't think C's death would cause this; he misjudged how much Kokona cared for C, and didn't think she'd react this strongly. He also thought her respect for Kira would ALWAYS equal respect for him. 

He has misjudged how people would react in the past. Think about the canon ending: it all happened because Light didn't think that Mikami was going to kill Takada. Another example would be when he automatically assumed it was going to be Matsuda who got the shinigami eyes to take down the mafia, but it was his dad who volunteered instead. He has wrongly predicted how people would react in canon, so I'm pretty sure him underestimating how important C was to Kokona isn't all that unrealistic.

"OKAY BUT WE'VE SEEN LIGHT FIGHTING L, HE'S PRETTY GOOD!!!"

Light is good at fighting, but C was an expert. Kokona learned from her.

"WHY DID NEAR KILL HER THATS NOT A NEAR THING TO DO!!!!!!!!"

This is true... when it came to Light. 

Near said in the actual series that he wouldn't just kill Light because he was trying to work like L was, and to honor L's legacy the best thing to do would be to prove Light is Kira and bring him down with the law.

But Kokona is not Light. She killed Light.

While Kokona IS more intelligent than most, she is not on Light's or L's or Near's or Mello's level. She's above average but they're all way smarter. 

Near does not see her as a good opponent like he saw Light. He's mad at her; she killed Light when HE wanted to beat him fair and square. She kinda stole that from him, and Near really just didn't want to waste his effort on Kokona when she wasn't equal to Light (Think of the one shot  Ohba wrote that took place years after the canon ending. Near just flat out refused to take on the "new" Kira who was killing old people. He didn't see him as a real opponent. This would be the same thing, except he had already started on the case and had to finish it one way or another.)

Short answer: he just really didnt like Kokona and didn't feel like wasting his efforts on her.

And I've also gotten this question

"is Kokona gay for C"

yes Kokona is very gay for C.