Chapter 9 - The challenge

Third person's pov

"You need to marry Cassandra to become duke of Brimhood" Gregory Winston said again.

Ben felt he couldn't breathe for a moment.

Henry not only left him title but her too.

He couldn't digest what is real and what is unreal....

It took him more than five minutes to settle down. He looked Cassie.She was calm as water. Yes she knew all from beginning

And Gregory Winston

His face is devoid of any emotion.

Benedict gulped glass of water and took a long breath. He needed answers.

"Why me? Henry had many other relatives who are blood related him than me"

"But no one is close as you Benedict. He considered you as his blood brother. Am I right?"

Gregory Winston questioned him back.

"Moreover no one can be better father to his son than you"

Benedict was in deep thought again.

Henry once again solved all his problems. Given him everything unasked. Henry had become his hero again.

But...............

He looked Cassandra. She was still silent, she was waiting for his answer.

"What if I refuse" he asked to Gregory Winston.

"Henry's son Benjamin Lockhart will be next duke and Cassandra will continue as his guardian till he aged to take his responsibility. But Benjamin is a small kid. Henry had many enemies. They will come after little Benjamin. Brimhood needs someone like you to protect it. You are Henry's best choice "

Greg Winston's words hinted Henry had left him a responsibly which he believed no can better than him. But he can't marry Cassie. Not after the tales he heard about her.

"No. I can't take this. I can't marry her"

"Think again Hart. This will solve all your problems" Greg encouraged.

"My answer is final. I will rot in hell but never marry woman like her. Then he stormed out of office.

I can't .I can't He chanted like a mantra

"Ben" He heard someone shouting at him from behind.

It was Cassandra.

"If you are here to beg me marry you, that is not going to work. I will never marry you."

Benedict said hardly.

"Really Ben, Do I have to beg, Naah..."

She come closer to him. Close enough she can hear his heartbeat.

Cassandra can hear it was beating hard.

"Ben,..." She slowly caressed his cheeks and looked into his eyes.

Ben was lost. Like old times in her eyes.

"Do you hate me that much? Your heart still beat for me and I can hear it". She asked without taking her eyes from him.

"Cassie I ........" He was struggling for more words.

"Aha caption Hart. You called me Cassie. I am still in your heart. So it is my reputation that is stopping you to marry me. If I am same old Cassandra you will grab the chance at once.

Benedict felt caught.

Cassandra was right. But he can't accept that. If only Cassandra told him the rumors about her false he would happily accept her.

"Are the stories about you is true?" he asked as he can't contain any longer.

"What if they are true? She asked him back.

"I will never marry a woman like you" Benedict vowed fiercely. But Cassandra smiled.

"Vows are always made to be broken. Just like you broke you're so called scared love promises to me in blink of eye"

"I loved an innocent girl with a pure soul and you are not her anymore" Benedict's voice was strained in pain.

"And who is responsible for that. You and your Betrayal. "She snapped back.

"It is payback time Caption Hart. You will marry me Hart. And that is your punishment to tie up your life with a woman like me" Cassandra said evilly.

Benedict walked back without saying anything further. But he heard something Cassie was yelling from back.

"Seven"

"What" he asked puzzled.

Cassandra came close to him and said.

"Mark my words Benedict Hart. Within seven days you will be my husband"

So who will win Cassandra or Benedict..................