chapter 20

Next few chapters are most difficult part in this book. I struggled hard to get my pointers right. Writing two chapters back to back is extremely difficult. Thank you for reads and votes.

Lights were brightening as well as blinding. Smell of different kind of flowers decorated the hall. Servants were at their best to not disappoint their master and master's guests. Guests seemed to lost in grandeur of Northshire,

This is exactly lady Elisa Browne wanted.

Everything looked perfect. Lady Elisa Browne never ceased to amuse her guests. Her preparations were always perfect. Today she had a special mission, for her most favorite person.
One can just stand and watch the beauty of grand hall of North Shire County. She always wants people to be envious. That gives her immense pleasure. While people always adore her except on person who show her mirror of reality.

Her best friend Cassandra Lockhart.

Now known as Cassandra Hart . As she walked towards Cassandra she saw Cassandra's eyes were fixed on something or someone.

Countess looked on direction what caught Cassandra's attention.

It is Catharine Greene. Elisa smiled. She knew how both sisters abhor each other. Cassandra's vengeance and Catharine's pride often clashed. It was always interesting to watch how both sisters fight with tooth and nail. In heart Elisa knew Cassandra still cared for her little sister.

Cassandra on other hand sighed watching her sister work as a maid from second floor. She still loved her little sister. But her past with her step mother still weighs high in heart. Unlike Cynthia Catharine is her half sister. Once both her sisters were her life. Now.....

One is dead leaving a mystery behind and other is living with misery.

"You seem distracted, Duchess. Is my perorations are not up to your mark" Elisa asked teasingly.

"You are perfect as always countess. What Catharine is doing here as maid?" Cassandra asked

"I did not employ Catharine Greene. She is too beautiful and dangerous like sister which will seriously damage my family. She only comes to work here when we held grant functions here like my brother in law's homecoming. I will always in short of man power. But her mother works here as kitchen help. Poor lady is always sick. I am such benevolent person. I strongly believe in charity too." Elisa said with taunting smile.

Cassandra felt Elisa just slapped on face. She insulted and complimented her same time. Elisa knew well about her past and hatred towards Greene Family. Still Elisa enjoyed tormenting her.

Cassandra decided to stay quite as her mind ragged in many things. She had no time for Elisa's playful ranting or Catharine's motives.
Things are going the way she planned. Her in laws are happy. Beatrice is slowly recovering.
But her confession about Cynthia left her disturbed. Benedict is making his efforts full as new duke and her husband. But her heart needs more time to melt. Time had made it hard as rock.

But if Benedict really sincere ...............

She needs to know what Cynthia hiding. And who can help her in this. She knew Clarisse and Benedict knew the truth. But both of them won't open their mouth so easily.

"Drink this. This is herbal tea. This will make your nerves calm. "
Elisa offered.

"My nerves are perfect." Cassandra shot back.

"Please your grace, this will calm down your headache." Cassandra looked up.

As the person who offered tea is none other than Clarisse, her step mother. Who else knew her this much, that too better than her.

For a moment Cassandra heart sank. Animatedly she took the cup. Clarisse looked tried. Her face was pale and there were dark circles around her eyes, which indicate Clarisse had not slept for days. It was clear Elisa planned this.
Even though she could not forget what that woman did to her still her heart yearns for that woman affection. And heart burns for her condition. A mother is always a mother.

When her father first brought Clarisse home she hated her. But Clarisse proved otherwise. She always had been her mother. In her growing years she always turned Clarisse for advice. Till the one day she has to choose between her and her own blood. She had chosen Cynthia.

And left her....

As Cassandra drank the tea she her mother's eyes were full. Yet she walked away without any words.
Cassandra looked away. Those moments make her weak. But it was those memories that made her hatred strong.

"You planned this "She asked angrily to Elisa.

"I thought you would be happy to see your step mother suffering. But you are getting angry at me ." Elisa said innocently.

"It is true I hate her. But I only get the right to punish her. Nobody else."

"You still care for them Cassie, you believe me or not, Some bonds never break , how much you try to break it apart. Behind your hatred I can feel old Cassandra Greene still alive" Elisa words stung Cassandra sharp.
They heard a loud cry from upstairs.

Cassandra recognize that voice from anywhere..

It was Catharine.

"Something happened" Both Cassie and Elisa ran towards the direction where they heard the voice. The voice came from room in third floor.

"Elisa, Bring your husband, I will go ahead." Elisa nodded her head and ran to find her husband while Cassandra further moved towards the room. Two maids joined her from nowhere.
As she opened the door she saw a least expected thing.......

Catharine was crying with thorn cloths and him in messy hair and unstable legs...........