Chapter 25- An Unlikely Friendship

I

Well Answer is Gregory Winston....

As most of you guessed...........

So this chapter is dedicated to @joyceann1704 and @zeecurls as both of them answered at same time.

Mornings were always slow for Gregory. He was a night person. He enjoyed night at its full glory. But that morning he had a guest. Someone unexpected decided to pay visit to him.

Benedict Hart. New Duke of Brimhood.

He looked tired as if he not slept all night. His eyes were sleepy yet they had determination. Gregory was sure he was up to something; Unless Benedict won't visit him at this wee hour. Something very important must have come up. To some extent Benedict remind of Henry. Both men never wait for consequence once they had made up their mind

"Aren't you going to offer me refreshments, I am hungry" Benedict announced surprising him.

"Off course, your grace, let's go to dining room and refreshments will be served soon." After the initial shock Gregory invited Benedict.

"Tell my Mr. Winston where can talk uninterrupted for few hours" Benedict asked.

"In my study" He replied.

"Order your servants to bring a pot full of coffee, because we both didn't sleep last night and we both need awake for a long time.

As once settled in his study Gregory asked Benedict" what brings you here "

"I need help. And only you can help me" Benedict replied.

"Are you sure you want my help. You are supposed to dislike my because my closeness to your wife." Gregory Winston said teasingly.

"I am serious Greg, I believe I can call you that, since two persons whom I love most trusted you as best friend. So I am trust you and asking you to help. At end I promise you won't be disappointed. It is about Cassie.

That name did it. And Gregory Winston's face becomes sharp and there no vestiges of sleeplessness in his face now.

"I need to know what exactly happened to Cassandra eight years ago when I left"

"I told you before, it was Cassandra's story to tell , not mine" Greg said trying close the matter.

"I know she was sold to brothel and Henry saved her." Ben said nonchalantly.

"Cassandra herself told me" To Gregory surprise expression, Benedict explained last night's events one by one.

"Well, that is Cassandra, but I am glad you are making progress with her. But before you know about past more are you aware of your present Benedict.

As Benedict looked at Gregory questioningly He continued.

"I knew Cassandra is going to angry at me for telling this you, But before getting into past details it is important that you know present as well. Little Benjamin is your son, to be exact yours and Cassandra's biological son"

Strangely Benedict was calm as sea if he knew.

"I do make foolish and stupid decisions often. But I am not that stupid. I have eyes. I worked in army for years. When I first Benjamin I have doubts. But Beatrice taunted hints on my face. But I wanted someone to confirm it. I thought someday Cassandra would confess that me. So I decided to wait.

Gregory smiled and started

Flashback

"We need to go Scotland Greg, and that too now. My foolish brother's lover Cassandra is trouble" Henry said handling over the piece of paper to Greg.

"It said she is pregnant with your child, not your brothers." Gregory said after reading the letter.

"Cassandra is trapped in brothel. To save herself she named me, as Benedict already left the county with his new wife. As for child, it is his, I am sure. That fool lose control when he around that girl. "

"If he love that girl so much , then why should he married other girl and left all together" Greg asked.

"I don't know Greg. But my intuitions say Ben did that with reason. For now Cassandra is my responsibly and the child which she is carrying. My brother's child is my child now. He belongs to Brimhood now onwards.......

He is my heir...........

End

Benedict was tears once heard about his brother. No one knew him better than his brother. He closed his eyes to reminisce those good memories with Henry. When he opened his eyes Greg was watching him closely.

"What happened after that?" He asked again.

"We found pregnant and sacred Cassandra in a dark room. Henry immediately bought Cassandra from there. He paid a hefty amount that owner. And then Cassandra told us it was her mother who sold her there. And she saw Clarisse collecting money from owner. It confused us too. But when he confirmed it was once he saw her in person. Everything was clear. Then Henry Lockhart married Cassandra, to give protection to Cassandra and her unborn child.

Benedict was thought full for a moment.

"Benjamin is a Lockhart and always remains same even if I am his father." Benedict could see a proud smile on Gregory's face as he heard those words. Gregory wants to say something but seeing him emotional Benedict changed topic and said

"Cassandra saw Clarisse collecting money. But how a woman like Clarisse travelled alone this much distance. She must have an accomplice. And most important question is, that all ignored how Cassandra reached such place"? Who brought her there?"

Even Greg was thoughtful at that question. As per Cassandra's words Clarisse was main culprit no one thought that.

"My mother once told me Cassandra was vanished with her last suitor who was courting and returned as Henry's wife. So who was he? The one who last courted Cassandra? He is the key"

For once Gregory Winston was speechless. Benedict Hart proved his worth.

"I don't know who it was. But we will find out. But what if the person who courted Cassandra was appointed by Clarisse herself" Greg questioned back.

"May and may not. But Clarisse is not that much bright person. Whoever paled this game played it so well and make sure Cassandra hated her mother. It needs planning. A shrewd mind is needed for such a planning. And an emotional person like Clarisse is not fit for that.

Even Greg felt he should agree with Benedict. All these years Clarisse always denied she sold Cassie.

"Why you are so adamant in proving Clarisse innocent. You want reunion of mother daughter"

Greg asked.

"I want redemption. In search of truth , I will find my way to Cassie's heart." His words somehow pleased Greg.

"I will help. But how will find that person. We can't ask Cassandra. Who will help us" Greg asked.

"I know someone who knows about Cassandra's last suitor and defiantly help us." Benedict said confidently.

Two men one mission...........

Will they succeed

P.S : I still don't believe I completed this chapter in one stretch.