Chapter 12

Phoenix watched Acelynn closely as she lifted the heavy weight over her head and then back down again. She grunted with effort as she repeated this movement. He loved watching her push herself like this. Acelynn had come so far in the last couple weeks they had been training. Instead of being the skinny girl that they found in a small home, she was putting on lots of muscle and had already become skilled at sword fighting. She was starting to look more like a Gold. Acelynn's green gold eyes flashed towards him as she set the weight down in front of her.

    "What are you looking at?" She snapped a smile fighting its way onto her face. He searched for an excuse and when he found none he just gave her a playful smile. "You know I think this is my favourite part of the day!" Acelynn exclaimed happily skipping over to him.

    "Not for long it isn't," General Scott snarled walking over to them. "Both of you in the ring, practice swords ready." Sighing Acelynn and Phoenix walked over to the ring their practice swords at their sides. Acelynn looked nervously at Phoenix. She didn't want to do this from what he could tell and neither did he. What if he hurt her?

    "Just not the face," she whispered to him as they entered the ring. He cracked a smile and they stood facing each other.

    "No gifts are allowed to be used, whenever you are ready you may begin," The General ordered a smirk on his red face. Phoenix took a deep breath and looked back towards Acelynn. She had put herself into a ready stance and stared back at him. Mimicking her Phoenix readied himself for her to attack. She moved lightening fast and she threw herself forward and tried to strike him with the tip of her sword. Phoenix moved just as fast barely getting his sword in front of hers. Taking a large step back as she lunged at him allowed him to swing his sword in front of himself again stopping her sword again. He quickly slashed his sword towards her hoping to catch her off guard. Acelynn threw herself to the floor narrowly avoiding his sword, swinging her leg out she caught his heel and threw him onto his back. Phoenix landed with a thud and groaned slightly as he rolled off the floor. Acelynn leaped forward and onto his back pushing him back onto the ground. Groaning again he flipped them over so he was pinning her to the ground. Acelynn brought her leg up and pushed him off of her, flipping Phoenix over her head. She pushed herself up off the ground and Phoenix watched her like a hawk. He slowly stood up and they circled each other again. They were both breathing heavily and sweat was forming on Phoenix's forehead. The metal in the ring was calling to help him but he suppressed the urge to use it. He didn't need it to win, he had been training much longer than she had been.

    Acelynn lunged at him again this time with a new strategy. Her sword smacked his hand causing him to drop his own sword. She threw her sword to the side and tackled him to the ground. Phoenix's breath was knocked out of him as they hit the ground, Acelynn landing on top of him. She struggled to hold his arms down with her own. Seeing his advantage Phoenix quickly rolled over forcing Acelynn beneath him. He grabbed both of her arms with his hands and pinned them to the ground. Acelynn was breathing heavily and she struggled to get out. Phoenix held her arms tightly refusing to let her go. He stared down at her and gave her a soft smile. She looked so beautiful, her cheeks were tinged red and pieces of her blonde hair were sticking to her face.

    "Nice try Acelynn," General Scott bellowed. Phoenix rolled off her and they laid beside each other trying to catch their breath. Acelynn chuckled and rolled over onto her stomach. She turned her face towards Phoenix and beamed at him.

"I almost had you," she whispered. Phoenix laughed and looked back at her. She was still breathing heavily and sweat was dripping down her face.

"You wish," Phoenix laughed back. Acelynn rolled her eyes and continued to smile at him. Phoenix gave her a cheesy smile and she giggled slightly.

"Get moving you two, you don't want your muscles to stiffen," General Scott ordered. Phoenix watched Acelynn push herself off the ground and he reached his hands towards her asking for help. She rolled her eyes again and reached her hand toward him. He smiled at her and grabbed her hand. Acelynn helped pull him up and pushed him slightly once he was on his feet. Phoenix stumbled back half a step and laughed loudly.

"Want to go for a walk around the garden?" Phoenix asked sliding out of the training ring. Acelynn nodded her head and placed her practice sword on the rack. Phoenix headed for the exit of center and Acelynn followed closely behind him.

"You stink," Acelynn muttered wrinkling her nose at him. Phoenix turned towards her and reached his arms towards her. He pulled her tightly to his sweat covered shirt and she shrieked as she struggled to get out of his grasp. "Thanks, now I stink," she hissed at him glaring playfully.

"You're very welcome," Phoenix replied cheekily. She smiled while rolling her eyes and they entered the garden. They wandered slowly towards the large orchard.

"Do you ever wish you weren't going to be king?" Acelynn asked casually. They walked beside each other in step. He glanced down at her and thought about it for a moment.

"I guess so, that's never been an option for me so I have never really thought about it. I could pass the title down to Nixon but I don't want to put that kind of pressure on him," Phoenix replied thoughtfully.

"That's nice of you," Acelynn replied looking at the large trees towering over them. Phoenix reached up picked an apple of a low hanging branch and held it out for Acelynn. She stuck her hand out and grabbed the apple from him. "Thanks!" she exclaimed taking a bite out of it.

"Did you ever know what you wanted to do after you finished school?" Phoenix asked grabbing another apple from a different tree.

"Not really, I think I always knew that I was going to be brought here no matter how long I avoided it," Acelynn answered quickly. Phoenix nodded his head and took another bite out of his apple. "I'm happy I'm here now, even if I do miss my family. I've made a pretty good friend," Acelynn told him.

"I'm still sorry about how it all had to happen, if I knew how I would ask my father to bring your family here," Phoenix replied apologetically. She nodded her head and continued to eat the red apple in her hand.

"It's not your fault so don't worry about it," Acelynn smiled at him allowing him to feel less guilty. He nodded his head at her and they continued walking along the row of apple trees. Acelynn stared up at the blue sky and pointed out shapes in the clouds to Phoenix. He couldn't help but feel amazed at how she picked certain things out, he had never done anything like that before.

"If you want would you be my escort for my birthday party?" Phoenix asked looking her in the eye. A large smile broke out onto her face.

"I would love to!" she exclaimed loudly. Phoenix felt a weight lift off his shoulders and a smile broke out on his face. She said yes! He wanted to jump around joyously but instead he wrapped his arms around her and gave her a hug in thanks.