Chapter 21

Chapter 21 - Phoenix

Phoenix's eyes snapped open and he rolled his sore neck to the left and then the right. He had fallen asleep on the couch and missed his alarm. It was a good thing he woke up early anyway. Glancing out the window he made sure it was still dark out. Phoenix walked over to Acelynn and shook her awake.

"Acelynn, you got to wake up," Phoenix whispered softly. She huffed and opened her eyes.

"Is it morning already?" She croaked her voice still hoarse.

"Almost, it's your birthday. We're going to go watch the sunrise like you do at home," Phoenix explained quickly. Acelynn's eyes snapped open and she sat upright in bed.

"How'd you know?" She asked staring him in the eye.

"I have my ways. Grab a blanket let's go!" Phoenix urged her. Hastily Acelynn grabbed the blanket off of her bed and stumbled out of bed. Phoenix caught her before she fell and Acelynn looked up at him sheepishly.

"Thanks," she mumbled her cheeks red.

"Happy birthday Acelynn," Phoenix replied a small smile on his face. She smiled back and they walked towards the door. "I just need to grab a blanket from my room, wait here," Phoenix told her jogging into his room. He grabbed the little black box off of his desk and shoved it into his pocket. Snatching his blanket off of his bed he raced back towards Acelynn. They linked arms and Phoenix lead them to towards the palace wall. They climbed the stairs to the top and sat down wrapped blankets around themselves. Acelynn leaned into him and he watched her as she stared at the sun rising. A faint smile was on her face and she sighed in content.

"Thank you," she whispered resting her head on his shoulder. He just nodded his head and put his arm around her shoulder. When she didn't pull away from him, he felt himself relax. They watched as the sun rose in silence. The sun was just barely risen when Acelynn stirred. She moved to stand up and Phoenix followed suit.

"Just wait, I have something for you," Phoenix told her reaching into his pocket and pulling out the black box. Opening it, he held the box open towards her. Acelynn's face lit up as she stared at the dainty diamond earring in the box. She reached her hands out for the box and Phoenix placed it in her hands.

"Phoenix, it's beautiful!" Acelynn exclaimed closing the box and leaping towards him. She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly. "Thank you, you didn't have to."

"You have changed my life a lot since coming here, you deserved it," Phoenix replied sheepishly. Acelynn pulled away holding the box tightly in her hand.

"Can we go put this in?" Acelynn asked excitedly. Phoenix chuckled and nodded his head. They slowly climbed down the stairs towards the ground. Acelynn practically started skipping as they made their way across the courtyard.

"Acelynn I have to tell you something," Phoenix practically whispered. His heart was beating fast and his palms became slick with sweat.

"What is it?" Acelynn asked concern written on her face. She turned towards him and stood still trying to read his facial expression.

"I know that we have gotten close as friends, so if you don't feel the same way I would really like to stay friends. IreallylikeyouAcelynnasmorethanfriends," Phoenix rushed out his words jumbling together. Acelynn looked confused for a moment before her eyes widened in realization. Phoenix watched her face intently trying to determine what she thought. Acelynn's cheeks flushed and she looked at the ground. He felt his heart drop, she didn't feel the same way.

"I really like you too Phoenix, as more than friends," Acelynn squeaked. Phoenix's head shot up and he looked at Acelynn, her face was bright red and she was anxiously looking around the courtyard avoiding Phoenix's gaze.

"Really?" Phoenix questioned excitedly. Finally she looked at him and nodded her head a small smile forming on her lips. Phoenix smiled brightly and pulled her in for a hug. Giggling Acelynn accepted it and held tightly to him. "Still want to go put that earring in?" Phoenix asked letting her go. Acelynn's face lit up again and she practically started running towards the house. Together they went down to the kitchen and grabbed an ice cube. She held it to her ear as they walked up the stairs. When they reached Acelynn's room she took the earring from the box and walked into the bathroom. She took the earring and placed it on the next spot available on her ear. Holding her breath she stabbed the earring through her ear, letting out a breath she smiled and looked at the earring next to her others.

"It's perfect," Acelynn breathed pushing the back of the earring into place.

"I cannot believe that you just shoved that through your ear!" Phoenix exclaimed his face white.

"Don't be such a baby, I could hardly feel it!" Acelynn laughed.