Chapter 30

Chapter 30 - Phoenix

They approached the palace gates the army behind them. After they had signed the peace treaty they had returned to their camp and found General Scott seething in the middle. They had caught him and tied him up, ignoring everything that he said. No one had liked him, he had been on everybody's bad side.

"Has the queen been informed about her husband's death yet?" Phoenix asked the closest messenger.

"She was told last night, your majesty," the servant squeaked. Phoenix nodded his head in thanks and they continued towards the gates. Standing behind the closed gate the queen stood with tears in her eyes. Phoenix dismounted from his horse and he helped Acelynn off of her own. They approached the gates together and met the queen.

"I'm so glad you two are safe," Queen Isa stammered pulling both of them into a large hug. Phoenix saw Acelynn wipe away a few tears and he gave her a sad smile. "Walk with me to the palace?" They quickly agreed and slowly they made their way towards their home.

"I'm sorry for your loss Isa," Acelynn glumly said. Phoenix knew she felt awful about killing the king. She had barely said a word to him since his meeting with Rani. The queen reached out and squeezed Acelynn's hand in her own.

"It was his time sweetheart," Isa replied softly. Phoenix swallowed back his tears and nodded his head. They were inside the palace in no time. "Phoenix we need to go meet with the council, they are going to decide if you can start ruling now or wait until you are 18," Isa ordered him.

"Yes mom," Phoenix answered with a chuckle. He was okay with whatever they picked, of course he would rather wait until he was 18 but if he had to start now, he had to start now.

"I heard about what you two did, I want to thank you. You have saved many nations from war, and you have saved us," Isa whispered once they were by themselves. Acelynn looked shocked at the queen's words and Phoenix knew that he did too. "Don't worry, Rani sent a message to the palace for me. Nobody else know, we're going to keep it that way."

"Acelynn you don't have to come to this meeting, go have a bath. I'll come and see you after if you want," Phoenix spoke softly to her. She nodded her head wrapped her arms around his waist. She hugged him tightly before turning to take the stairs to her room. The queen reached out and gave her a soft hug and then they continued on. It was time to face fate.

Queen Isa

"What do you mean I can't rule?" She shrieked in rage. The metal on her dress was buzzing just waiting for her to use. Phoenix sat quietly in his chair beside her.

"A woman is not strong enough to rule," Duke Hexington snarled at her. Isa felt her anger flare. She was certainly strong enough to rule, she had only dealt with the king for 25 years.

"So you're saying that Phoenix is too young to rule, but you will not let me be a stand in ruler until he is 18 because I am woman?" Isa snarled right back. Duke Hexington sat back in his chair and nodded his head. "I am the most capable woman you will ever meet Duke, there is no other person who has been in the royal meetings and things as long as I have. You say a woman is not strong enough to lead and yet our neighboring countries have female leaders and you don't hear about them having any problems with it!" Isa's rage fought for the control of her abilities. She could feel the metal in the room start to crumple. Phoenix sat up straight in his chair at the sound of the metal crunching. Duke Rasoling spoke up next.

"Hexington you are not going to find another person who is willing to rule for 2 years and then be done. She is the best option and if you haven't felt your sword crumpling in your pocket then you are dumber than we all thought. She is strong and she will lead our people," Rasoling told him. Many of the other council members nodded their heads in agreement.

"Isa will rule until Phoenix's 18th birthday," Rasoling declared.

General Scott

"Those two planned everything, they knew exactly what they were doing. We trained her and she is what she is today because of us. If it wasn't for us the king would be alive and she would be dead like she was suppose to be," General Scott snarled to his wife. Jule nodded her head in agreement.

"We need to end the royal family, they cannot get away with this," Jule hissed. "I'm going to request to see the queen about your sentence and then while we are talking I will kill her!" Jule panned hastily. Out of the corner of his eye General Scott noticed a shadow moving.

"Jule stop, someone is here," General Scott growled lowly. Jule's mouth closed quickly and she followed his eyes to the darkest part of the room. Someone had been listening.

Brianna

General Scott's eyes bore into her, she froze. He had spotted her. Moving as slow as possible she used the shadows to leave the room. She had to get to the queen before Jule even had a chance to attempt her stupid plan. It might have been the worst plan that she had ever heard. Sprinting towards the throne room Brianna ran over the words in her head.

"Isa, Jule is planning your murder. She wants General Scott to be freed," Brianna breathed out quickly trying to catch her breath from the short run.

"Thank you Brianna, I will take care of it," Isa replied a cynical smile on her face. "Please tell Jule that I request her presence." Brianna nodded her head and walked back towards where General Scott was being kept.

"Jule the queen requests your presence immediately," Brianna told her, she kept her voice monotone as she motioned for her to follow. Jule slowly rose from her spot beside the general and followed her out the door. Jule entered the throne room with confidence.

"Jule, you and your husband are being banished. If you are seen within our country you will be killed on the spot. You have 2 hours to pack your things and then you will be escorted out of the country," Isa told her. Jule's jaw dropped and she looked like she was about to argue. "Do not say another word or it will be your last day," Isa snarled dangerously. Jule nodded her head and slowly walked out of the room.