Chapter 29

Chapter 29 - Acelynn

Phoenix squeezed her hand tighter as they sprinted faster towards the battle. She could still feel the king's blood on her as they spotted the nearest general. Phoenix let go of Acelynn's hand and ran faster towards him. Acelynn understood and she slowed to a walk, she was exhausted. Physically and mentally exhausted. Phoenix started yelling at the general.

"The king is dead! Stop the attack!" Phoenix screamed as loud as he could. Acelynn slowly walked after him. Her head was pounding as well as her heart. She could see the general smile at Phoenix before he started shouting orders. Men stopped fighting and soon they were all falling back towards the camp.

Hours later the camp was full of the men, covered in mud and covered in blood. The wounded were being tended to by some of the other men and all of the generals were standing around the king's dead body.

"Who killed him?" The youngest general asked. All of the men looked around trying to figure out who it could have been. Acelynn stood just outside of the circle waiting until she could make a comment.

"Where's General Scott?" Phoenix asked casually. The old men looked around at each other and soon they all started talking at once.

"It had to have been him!"

"Why else would he have run away!"

"I always knew he wanted to kill the king!" Various accusations rang through the air.

"We need to find him and have him arrested, he couldn't have gotten far." The generals took off all barking orders at their men. As the large groups of men started walking away from the camp to look for General Scott. Acelynn and Phoenix started towards Islea. Phoenix wanted to talk to Rani about what had happened and if they could create a peace treaty. Immediately upon entering the border they were surrounded by 10 men all pointing long swords at them. Acelynn froze and her hands flew up beside her ears.

"We're here to see Queen Rani," Phoenix told them. His body language was relaxed but the sound of his voice was stiff. The largest of the men nodded his head and he started walking away from them. They moved to follow but the swords stayed on them.

"Rani will come to you," one of the men snarled. Acelynn tried to hold her temper, she hated being talked to like that. She bit her tongue and stepped closer to Phoenix.

"Please don't let me do something stupid," Acelynn muttered under her breath. Phoenix held back a laugh and nodded his head.

"If you're going to do something stupid I'm probably going to be doing it with you," he replied shrugging his shoulders. Acelynn chuckled slightly in response. A rustling in the bushes had them freezing. A moment later Rani appeared with the large man behind her.

"I'm sorry for your loss Prince Phoenix," Rani began nodding her head sympathetically at Phoenix. "Can you tell me what happened?"

"They had caught onto our plan and a general attacked me, the king fought Phoenix back and I didn't have the chance to use my abilities on him. I escaped from the general with nothing but a cut and made it to where Phoenix and the king were. When I arrived Phoenix was knocked out and the king was about to kill him. I did what I had to do," Acelynn explained. She dropped her head at the last part and tried not to think about the man she had killed.

"Ah I understand, I'm glad both of you are alright," Rani sighed. Acelynn smiled softly but continued to stare at the ground. "Why are you here?" Rani asked.

"Since I am technically the new king, I would like to make a peace treaty with Islea, I don't want war. I want things to be fair and I want to ally with other kingdoms instead of take over them!" Phoenix confided in them. Rani smiled appreciatively at him.

"You're going to be a great king," Rani approved. Phoenix blushed bashfully. "I would love to create a peace treaty." They spent the next hour thinking up the peace treaty. Acelynn understand absolutely none of what they were talking about, but she nodded her head as if she did.