Chapter 28

<5 minutes earlier>

Phoenix drew his sword and stood beside his father. He could do this, he had to do this. It was one person in exchange for the lives of many. Cautiously he glanced over at him. Without waiting to see if he was stuck Phoenix swung his sword at the king's head. King Orion ducked easily out of the way and pulled his own sword free.

"I didn't think you had it in you," King Orion snarled at his son. Phoenix glared back at him. Something wasn't right. He should have been stuck by now. Something had happened to Acelynn. His father lunged towards him and swung his sword blindly. Phoenix blocked the blow but felt the tingle of the blades hitting travel up his arm and into his shoulder. The king was stronger than he looked. Using his abilities he focused on the metal blade of the king's sword. He felt the metal bend to his will and he bent the sword in half. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Acelynn running through the bushes. She looked like she was struggling and there was blood running down her face. The king took his distraction and used it to his advantage sending a rock flying towards his head. He had forgotten the one thing that his father could do. Manipulating the earth. The rock hit his head and he felt himself slip unconscious.

Acelynn

She sprinted as fast as she could towards the two members of the royal family. Her sword was still in her hand and her heart was racing. Almost there, General Scott had slowed and was farther than he had first appeared. She took a deep breath and threw some of her ability at the general, he did not stop but his body slowed. Reaching the king and Phoenix she took her sword and held it to the king's throat. In the distance she knew the war had started. She could hear the pained cries of men and the clashing of steal on steal. Tears started to pour down her face as she tried to look away from the king. She could see the whites of his eyes and he looked scared. Moving her sword quickly she killed him. She allowed his time to resume and his body fell to the ground. Acelynn pushed the king's body off of Phoenix and cradled his head in her hands. She just wanted him to wake up. Acelynn's tears turned to sobs and she cried out loudly. She had killed him. Guilt ran through her veins making her body feel cold.

Phoenix's eyes fluttered open and he stared at Acelynn in confusion. Reaching his hand up he wiped tears from Acelynn's face.

"Is he gone?" Phoenix asked. Acelynn nodded her head and tried to hold back her tears. She needed to stop crying. They had to stop the war!

"I'm so sorry it had to be you," Phoenix murmured sitting up slowly. He looked over at his father's dead body and tears welled in his eyes.

"I'm sorry he's gone," Acelynn sniffled. Phoenix shook his head and they slowly stood up together. "We have to go stop the war, I can only hold the general for so much longer. It's best if we disappear quickly," Acelynn told him. They grabbed hands and they slowly jogged away from the dead king and towards the ever present screams.