prologue

For months, nothing ever made her smile the way she did the moment she got the news. She was finally having a job after quitting the previous one six months ago. She read the confirmation email once again while on the sanitary section of the grocery market. Although she was not feeling that well, rejoice was evident on her face.

"Seulgi," her friend said once she held her forearm. "What, are you okay?"

The woman named Seulgi looked at her friend who was rather minding her pale lips than the big smile on her face.

"I got the job!" she said, ignoring her friend's question. "I'm starting after the holidays!"

"That's great!" her friend congratulated her. "But are you okay? You look pale."

"Am I?" she blinked and checked her own lips. "Nah. I'm always like this when I'm on my period."

Her friend thought about it. Upon living with her for years, she noticed that she'd been like that for a couple of cycles.

"Okay," she said. "I gotta be on the frozen section. I'll see you on the cashier?"

Seulgi nodded to her friend. "Alright. See you at.." she glanced at her phone screen to check the time, "at 4 o'clock."

It was not just thirty minutes when she felt cold beads of sweat on her temples and around her neck. Despite of the familiar feeling of weariness, she managed to walk around the market to get a bottle of water. She removed the cap and had a couple of gulps even before paying for it. Feeling a little comfort, she went to the cashier and spotted her friend right away.

"Seul, you're seriously looking paler. Are you really okay?"

She nodded with a small smile. "I'm fine. It's just my period, you know?" she chuckled then moved on to the queue.

Another ten minutes passed. She noticed her friend looking back at her as if checking her up. She pretended not to notice until she saw the world slowly turning around her. Her arms started to feel numb while feeling her throat getting dry.

"Seul, come 'on," she heard her friend called. The queue was moving on and it was already her friend's turn to the cashier.

Twisting the cap off the bottle, she had another gulp after stepping close to the desk. She blinked a couple of times but she barely heard anything

The last thing she felt was falling and then it was pitch black.