26.5

The overwhelming feeling was unexpected the moment Seulgi and Taehyung settled inside his car. All happenings came down hitting them both like targets. The ambiance was a lot lighter when he picked her up earlier, but after all that happened, everything came to her at once.

She let him drive to his destination in mind, if there was any, but she hoped he would just drop her off to her apartment complex. It was easier to escape and end the night that way. But her instinct told her that her hope won’t happen, especially when the car took the wrong turn.

Not too long, she decided to take off her heels and shawl, thinking that it were contributing to her feeling uncomfortable. Afterwards, since no one was speaking, she thought she could say something.

“Thank you for the flowers,” she said rather slowly, as if she was not sure to break the silence.

Taehyung, on the other hand, was feeling the same way. It was overwhelming to the point that he’s being sensitive to the situation. He was afraid, for the first time, that she might see things in a difficult way. That she might think that their worlds were different. He knew that she can notice his measured movement, his caring gestures, and his soft gazes towards her. But he wasn’t sure if she knew why.

“You deserve it,” he told her. “Do you mind staying for the night?”

She only shook her head.
It was natural to cross her mind that he’s planning something extremely intimate tonight and that thought, somehow, made her feel pettish and displeased. She was thinking that it was wrong to act like everything’s alright. Because it was definitely not okay for her when he kissed somebody out of curiosity and jealousy, to just go up there and announce her name so easily without asking her, and to ask her if she minded staying at his place knowing that she cannot say no to him.

But you can just have the courage to say no. He’s not a goddamn mind-reader.

That voice inside her head made her bottled-up feelings and emotions show. She took a deep breath, closing her eyes. It was like she was deaf for a second, and then when a booming track suddenly played from the car stereo, she lost it.

“COULD YOU PLEASE STOP!” She asked, but she was the one to hit the power off button of the stereo and immediately unbuckled her seatbelt, wanting to be free.

At the same time, the car halted in front of his residence. “What’s the matter?” he asked worriedly, and urgently. “Are you alright?”

She took a deep breath once again, composing herself while having a sudden self-hatred for losing her mind for a second.

“I just – I really think we need to talk,” she looked at him expectantly. “Don’t you think?”

“I do,” he admitted with a nod.

She adjusted her position to make it easier to face him. The flowers were put onto the dashboard.

“I guess I’m still upset about you. I mean, I appreciate you telling them about us –” she was just staring at him as he listened thoroughly with his eyes fixed on the windshield, “—having the courage to tell the truth in front of those people. But..”

When she paused for a few seconds, he spoke softly: “It’s alright. You can tell me.”

“I just realized that it hurt me more than I think when I knew you kissed somebody,” she told him, sounding like a whisper. That made him look at her, concern and panic evident from his eyes. “What makes it more complicated for me is.. I don’t know if I have the right to be angry at you.”

“But you have,” he said in a heartbeat. “You can slap me, torture me, just let it out.”

“You can’t understand,” she looked away, shaking her head aggressively. How can I be angry at you? When I’m not even being completely honest with you about everything.