17

There was a chime from the front door, and it was followed two more times. Taehyung told her not to bother following him down, but within, she knew she had to. And she was glad she came forth for the visitor was someone she couldn’t afford to miss.

It was his mother.

She wished she didn’t wear her damn shorts though.

“It’s nice to meet you, ma’am,” she greeted politely while offering her hand to the older.

Mrs. Kim didn’t accept it and gave her the slightest smile. “Likewise, young lady,” she looked at her son. “So what’s the purpose of your visitor, son? Is it for work?”

Seulgi noticed him already carrying a medium sized paper bag containing what she thought was food for his supper instead of his mother’s attitude toward her.

So this is what he said about his mother cooking food for him..

“She’s not just my visitor eomma,” he answered, mirroring his mother’s smile seconds ago. “She’s my girlfriend.”

That brought her back to reality and Mrs. Kim’s reaction was not on her favor for which she knew the reasons why: first, apparently, his family seemed to be conservative and her current attire was not ideal and lastly, she wanted somebody else for her only son.

“We’ll talk about it some other time, son,” Mrs. Kim simply said then showed another smile. It was the same façade of sarcasm but knowing the fact that she didn’t like her, it almost looked sinister.

Seulgi had to do something about it. “I’ll come with you—” she caught up when the older already turned around. She grabbed her shoulder bag that she left on the couch earlier and jogged towards the watching old woman. “Only if you don’t mind, ma’am.”

Definitely, that was the only good thing to do: leaving with her mom and giving her the contentment that she’s not spending the rest of the night with her son. But as soon as he held her wrist and pulled her back ever gently, her plan of being on the good side of his mother changed.

“Stay,” he simply muttered before walking toward his startled mother. His eyes crestfallen, pleading for a split second before talking to his mother, “I’ll walk you on the gate, eomma.”

“But—”

“Let’s go,” he cut off and with an adorable smile for his mother, putting an arm around her shoulders. “I know you’re tired having chats with your friends this afternoon and still managed to cook something for…”

Their voices faded as soon as they walked out of the front door where she walked with them. She should’ve insisted to leave because there’s nothing more important than having a good impression from his mother other than his father that it surprised and embarrassed her at the same time. With the same thoughts messing up her brain, she dazed on an empty space until her vision focused on the paper bag he left on the center table seconds ago.

Just for the sake of doing something, she got it and went to the kitchen. There she cared to take a peek inside the bag and took note of the delicacies. When Taehyung returned about a couple of minutes passed, she was holding a glass of water to refresh her mind.

“Are you hungry?” he asked typically as if nothing serious happened. When she turned to him from facing the refrigerator, he was already opening a container containing chicken broth soup. The drooling aroma instantly covered the place. “You should try this. It’s one of my favorites.”

“I should’ve left with her,” she told him with a sense of regret while he just continued to prepare the table. “What would she think of us now? Of me?” she added, following him around the kitchen.