Chapter 14

Jung Hoseok's Point of View

~
The wind seems to be telling secrets through whispers as it blows past me. Leaves from the tree I was in sway, left in chaos until whatever secret the wind told, died down and was forgotten. The tree was tall, stretching higher than the other trees towards the dark sky that was dusted in twinkling lights. My hand rests on one of the many arms that branch out of the tree's body. 

Nature. One of the most beautiful things to be created. The thing I love most about the human world. Heaven always felt closed and suffocating. Here, you can feel free.

Nature was probably one of the reasons the angel Eros decided to live here. Despite the many corrupted ways of humans, nature was one of the things they haven't completely destroyed yet. But once it was gone, what other reason would there be to want to live here?

I shake my head and focus on the apartment complex below me. I climbed the tree to get a better view of the apartment I was supposed to find. Aero told me it was apartment 504B. So here I was, standing over building B, watching the fifth floor. Curtains covered the fourth window. A warm yellow light was barely visible from where I stood.

There wasn't any activity yet. Or at least from what I could see. Nothing on the ground or anyone I could see on the roof. It was completely clear.

I place my other hand on my wooden bow. It was heavy and thick, meaning it couldn't be snapped easily. I put my hand on the handle where my thumb gently rubs the metal button. Once I push it, the string will disconnect from the bottom and shrink into the top. Then, the bow will straighten and two blades will poke out of either side. A double-bladed staff that could be taken apart to become two short-swords.

I also have a quiver slung over my shoulder, filled with arrows. The quiver also has a small pocket filled with small knives. Six of them were strapped to my waist, three on each side.

The last weapon I have on me was a small dagger that I have tucked into my boot. I feel too equipped since nothing is going on. Did Aero think they'd send demons after Eros? I shake my head. I need to empty my head and focus. Aero has to have a reason to send me here.

A dark shadow flashes across the window. I step forward on the branch, gripping my bow tighter. There was more movement causing the curtains to move around. I quickly pull the bow off of my back, knock an arrow, and train it in the area of the window.

I watch intently for a few seconds. After a few seconds, the window shatters, sending a black figure out of it. A shower of glass falls to the ground below. I let my arrow loose. I could tell it wasn't Eros.

The figure drops and another comes to the now broken window. This one has longer hair that sways lightly in the wind. I knock another arrow and aimed it at them. They look in my direction as if they know exactly where I am. I take a deep breath to calm my nerves and let the arrow loose. They move slightly to the side and the arrow lodged itself in the concrete wall, right next to where their head used to be. Angry, I knock three at the same time and let them go as soon as they jump off. Each one misses.

I look at the window, worried about Eros. But I know I need to chase after them. They might have important information from Eros.

There isn't enough time to crawl down the tree. The only way to get down there in time is to fly down. I scan the ground, looking for the right spot. Thankfully, there are no humans around. I step back and roll my shoulders. Hopefully, whoever sees me just thinks I'm a large bird.