Chapter Thirty-One

Rayne's Pov

Those words struck me hard. We were here, the battle was about to begin. I felt a rock form in my stomach. Law's grip tightens for a moment before he lets go and we stand up. Grabbing up my sword I toss over the strap around my torso. Feeling the weight of my sword against my back was a bit of a comforting feeling. It was a source of power to me, if I had my sword then I had a way to fight and potentially win. 

"Alright, today is the day. We're going to go in there and collect the hearts of a hundred notorious pirates." Law produces a stack of wanted papers. "Here they are. Take a few and hunt them down. Don't kill them though, the way in which I'm going to extract the hearts is through my devil fruit powers."

Everyone steps up and grabs some of the wanted posters. Finally I step up and Law hands me a few, "You'll be staying close to me."

As much as I want to argue with him I can't, because he's right. This would be the biggest battle I'd ever participated in and I would need to be with the most experienced member on our crew, AKA Law. Taking the papers from his hands I nod. Looking through them I see a few familiar ones and others I never knew were famous at all, easy enough I guess. With all of our papers and weapons at the ready we started to head off of the submarine. 

Rocky Port looked like a nice enough place if you squint. The buildings were all lined up neatly, their storefronts proudly displaying their wares. The streets are clean enough, there's only the occasional drunkard on the gutters too. The sky was bright, looking hopeful. Completely misleading as to what was about to go down. 

Law places a hand on my hip, pulling me into his side. I lay my head on his chest for a moment, knowing that this very well could be the last time I do this. We all enter into a bar and sit down at the counter. Already pirates are sizing us up, I can feel my hand gripping the hilt of my sword. 

"Tell me, where can we find this man?" Law asks the bartender.

The man looks down at the paper before jerking his head over to a rowdy corner of the bar. Law looks over to Bepo and nods his head. So it begins. Bepo places a kick straight into the captain's face. He goes shattering through the window and into the street. All of a sudden all hell breaks loose. Pirates are fighting here and there. 

Law yanks me out of the bar and he shoves the paper of the pirate we're looking for into my hands. Hm... this guy looked kind of tough. His face was pulled into a wild sneer on the paper, a wicked scar running down the length of his face. 

Already in the streets there is people brawling. Vaguely down the street I can make out Bepo kicking the crap out of the pirates attempting to take him down. Oh those poor fools. Law grabs onto my forearm and I look up to see our pirate captain trying to take down Claire and Cyrus. 

Shooting forward I aim a slash at the pirate captain. He ducks and goes to stab me in the gut but it's easy enough to step out of the way. Swirling around I land a slash to his arm. He grunts in pain and looks at the cut down the length of his arm. He looks shocked, I can only snort, did he think I was here to be fodder?

Using his hesitation I dart forward and place another slash on the back of one of his knees, ensuring he has difficulty moving. Whipping around I got and kick him down to the ground. However he recovers much faster than I think he's going to and puts a punch into my gut. The air is knocked out of my body and I crash to the ground. The man goes to slash my head off when suddenly there's a blue bubble and his hands detach. 

"The hell?" He screams. 

Suddenly he screams as I watch his heart get torn out of his chest. My mouth drops open, I can't believe it. Law steps over to me and he pulls me up from the ground. I dust myself off and blush a bit, of course he would swoop in at the last minute and end it. "This is what I meant about reckless. You could've just been killed."