Chapter 4

While we were sitting in the cab, it was really quiet and John was casting a few nervous glances at Sherlock, who was focused on his phone. And eventually, he lowered the phone and looked at John. "Okay, you've got questions," he said. "Yeah, where are we going?" asked John. "Crime scene. Next?" asked Sherlock. "Who are you? What do you do?" asked John. "What do you think?" asked Sherlock. John was a little hesitant at first, but he eventually said, "I'd say private detective..." "But?" Sherlock interrupted. "...but the police don't go to private detectives," John finished. "I'm a consulting detective. Only one in the world. I invented the job," said Sherlock. "What does that mean?" asked John. "It means when the police are out of their depth, which is always, they consult me," said Sherlock. "The police don't consult amateurs," said John. Sherlock threw him a look. "When I met you for the first time yesterday, I said, "Afghanistan or Iraq?" You looked surprised," said Sherlock. "Yes, how did you know?" asked John. "I didn't know, I saw. Your haircut, the way you hold yourself says military. But your conversation as you entered the room said trained at Bart's, so Army doctor-- obvious," Sherlock paused as he looked at me. "Your turn," he said. "I don't know how," I said. "You've got the photographic memory and you learned something from how I deduced you this morning. Just look closely," he said. After a minute, I picked up from where Sherlock left off. "Your face is tanned but no tan above the wrists. You've been abroad, but not sunbathing. Your limp's really bad when you walk but you don't ask for a chair when you stand, like you've forgotten about it, so it's at least partially psychosomatic. That says the original circumstances of the injury were traumatic. Wounded in action, then. Wounded in action, suntan-- Afghanistan or Iraq," I said, gasping for air. "You've learned well," said Sherlock. "You said I had a therapist," said John. "You've got a psychosomatic limp-- of course you've got a therapist. Then there's your brother," said Sherlock. "Hmm?" asked John as Sherlock took his phone. "Your phone. It's expensive, e-mail enabled, MP3 player, but you're looking for a flatshare-- you wouldn't waste money on this. It's a gift, then. Scratches. Not one, many over time. It's been in the same pocket as keys and coins. The man sitting next to me wouldn't treat his one luxury item like this, so it's had a previous owner. Next bit's easy. You know it already," said Sherlock. "The engraving," said John. "I'll let Alis do this one," said Sherlock as he handed me the phone. "Harry Watson: clearly a family member who's given you his old phone. Not your father, this is a young man's gadget. Could be a cousin, but you're a war hero who can't find a place to live. Unlikely you've got an extended family, certainly not one you're close to, so brother it is. Now, Clara. Who's Clara? Three kisses says it's a romantic attachment. The expense of the phone says wife, not girlfriend. She must have given it to him recently-- this model's only six months old. Marriage in trouble then-- six months on and he's just given it away. Quite strange in my opinion," I said as I handed the phone back to Sherlock, who continued from where I left off. "If she'd left him, he would have kept it. People do-- sentiment. But no, he wanted rid of it. He left her. He gave the phone to you-- that says he wants you to stay in touch. You're looking for cheap accommodation, but you're not going to your brother for help: that says you've got problems with him. Maybe you liked his wife; maybe you don't like his drinking," said Sherlock. "How can you possibly know about the drinking?" asked John. Sherlock smiled. "Shot in the dark. Good one, though. Power connection: tiny little scuff marks around the edge of it. Every night he goes to plug it in to charge but his hands are shaking. You never see those marks on a sober man's phone; never see a drunk's without them," Sherlock paused as he gave John's phone back. "There you go, you see-- you were right," he said. "I was right? Right about what?" asked John. "The police don't consult amateurs. And well done, Alis," said Sherlock, smiling at me. "Thank you," I said. "That...was amazing," said John after a minute. "Do you think so?" asked Sherlock. "Of course it was. It was extraordinary; it was quite extraordinary," said John. "That's not what people normally say," said Sherlock. "What do people normally say?" asked John. "'Piss off'!" said Sherlock. "And how did you do that, Alis?" asked John. "I have absolutely no idea," I said. "Neither do I," said Sherlock, smiling at John and me as we continued the journey to the crime scene.