Chapter 10

Once Sherlock and I finished investigating, we met John at the escalators. "Two trips around the world this month. You didn't ask his secretary; you said that just to irritate him. How did you know?" asked John. "Did you see his watch?" asked Sherlock. "His watch?" John repeated. "The time was right but the date was wrong. Said two days ago. Crossed the dateline twice but he didn't alter it," I said. "You're improving," said Sherlock. "I know," I said. "Within a month? How'd you get that part?" asked John. "New Breitling. Only came out this February," said Sherlock. "Okay. So d'you think we should sniff around here for a bit longer?" asked John. "Got everything we need to know already, thanks," I said. "Hmm?" asked John. "That graffiti was a message for someone at the bank working on the trading floors. We find the intended recipient and ..." "... they'll lead us to the person who sent it," John finished for Sherlock. "Pretty obvious," I said. "Well, there's three hundred people up there. Who was it meant for?" asked John. "Pillars," I said. "What?" asked John. "Pillars and the screens. Very few places you can see that graffiti from. That narrows the field considerably. And of course the message was left at eleven thirty-four last night. That tells us a lot," said Sherlock. "Does it?" asked John as we went through the revolving doors and out onto the street. "Traders come to work at all hours. Some trade with Hong Kong in the middle of the night. That message was intended for someone who came in at midnight," I said as Sherlock held up the namecard that he found. "Not many Van Coons in the phonebook," said Sherlock. Right at that moment, I saw just what we needed. "Taxi!" I yelled.

After a ride in the taxi, we were outside a row of apartments. But when I pressed the door buzzer marked 'Van Coon', there was no response. I even pressed it twice. "So what do we do now? Sit here and wait for him to come back?" asked John. Sherlock and I eventually found a new label. "Just moved in," said Sherlock. The handwritten label read 'Wintle'. "What?" asked John. "The floor above. New label," I said. "Could have just replaced it," said John. "No-one ever does that," said Sherlock as he pressed the buzzer. "Hello?" asked Ms. Wintle. "Hi! Um, I live in the flat just below you. I-I don't think we've met," said Sherlock, putting on a face that made him look somewhat human. "No, well, uh, I've just moved in," she said. I threw a 'told you' glance to John. "Actually, I've just locked my keys in my flat," said Sherlock, using some very good acting skills. "D'you want me to buzz you in?" she asked. "Yeah. And can I use your balcony?" asked Sherlock. "What?" she asked.

Long story short, Sherlock flirted his way onto Ms. Wintle's balcony and got us into Van Coon's apartment. But what we saw wasn't what I expected. Van Coon was home, but he had been shot in his right temple. And after a forensics search and a chat with Lestrade's substitute, Detective Inspector Dimmock, we deduced that Van Coon did not in fact commit suicide, but had been threatened, leading up to his demise. The interesting was that the pistol that we found beside Van Coon's body wasn't the pistol that his killer had used. The whole deduction was a little difficult for me, but not difficult for Sherlock. Next thing we knew, the three of us were at a restaurant to meet up with Sebastian. " ... and he's left trying to sort of cut his hair with a fork, which of course can never be done!" said Sebastian as the three of us went over to his table. "It was a threat. That's what the graffiti meant," said Sherlock. "I'm kind of in a meeting. Can you make an appointment with my secretary?" asked Sebastian. "I don't think this can wait. Sorry, Sebastian. One of your traders – someone who worked in your office – was killed," I said. "What?" asked Sebastian. "Van Coon. The police are at his flat," said John. Sebastian clearly was shocked. "Killed?" he repeated. "Sorry to interfere with everyone's digestion. Still wanna make an appointment? Would, maybe, nine o'clock at Scotland Yard suit?" asked Sherlock. Sebastian looked very nervous at that point.

After John and Sherlock talked with Sebastian, the three of us were heading back to the flat. But while we were doing that, my phone buzzed. The alarm telling me that I needed to go to rehearsal for the performance I would be doing had gone off. "Sherlock?" I asked. "Yes?" he asked. "I'm not going to at the flat long. I'm just going to get a few things and go. I have somewhere to be in an hour. I'll probably get home pretty late," I said. "What are you up to, Alis?" asked Sherlock as we went into the flat. "I'm afraid that's classified, Sherlock," I said as I got my stuff and left. I was going to be performing in a showcase in three days and I needed to be at as many rehearsals as possible.

A/N: So, Alis is going to be preparing a surprise for Sherlock and John . I guarantee that you'll be pleased with the result. Laters!