Chapter 24

Sometime later, I was wearing a black dress, a white blouse, some black tights, black heels and my usual blue necklace that my mom gave me for my 16th birthday. I had also fixed my hair up all nice and was sitting in a chair opposite from the desk in Mycroft's large -- and rather intimidating -- office. Suddenly, the door opened and Mycroft walked in, reading a report. I stood up politely. "Alissa. How nice. I was hoping you wouldn't be long," he paused as he set the report on the desk and motioned for me to sit down again. "How can I help you?" he asked. "Your brother sent me to collect more facts about the stolen plans, the missile plans," I said. "Did he?" asked Mycroft. "Yes. He's investigating now," I said. Mycroft put his hand to the right side of his mouth. He was obviously still recovering from his root canal. "He's, er, investigating away," I said. As Mycroft lowered his hand again, he smiled as if he didn't believe a word of it. "I just wondered what else you can tell me about the dead man," I said. "Uh, twenty-seven; a clerk at Vauxhall Cross – er, MI6. He was involved in the Bruce-Partington Programme in a minor capacity. Security checks A-OK; no known terrorist affiliations or sympathies ..." Mycroft paused for a moment. "Last seen by his fiancée at ten thirty yesterday evening," he said. "Right. He was found at Battersea, yes? So he got on the train," I said. "No," said Mycroft. "What?" I asked, shocked that I had gotten a deduction wrong. "He had an Oyster card ..." Mycroft paused as he raised his hand to his mouth again. Definitely a root canal. "... but it hadn't been used," he said, lowering his hand again. "Must have bought a ticket," I said. "There was no ticket on the body," said Mycroft. "Then ..." "Then how did he end up with a bashed-in brain on the tracks at Battersea? That is the question – the one I was rather hoping Sherlock would provide an answer to. How's he getting on?" he asked. I got really nervous when Mycroft asked that question. "He-he's fine, yes. Oh, and-and it is going ... very well. It's, um, you know – he's completely focused on it," I said, grinning at Mycroft unconvincingly. He obviously wasn't buying it. "Alissa, don't play games with me. I know when you're lying," he said. "I know. I'm a horrible liar," I said. "So, what is Sherlock really up to right now?" he asked. "I have no idea. He hasn't given me any updates on our case right now. He told me not to give you any details. Well, I believe I should be going. It was nice to see you again," I said. And I left the room before he could say anything else.