22 - Friends

On my way home from school one day, I saw a student from my class walking ahead of me. His name was Jae. He was one of those students who never mixed around and always being teased for his 'nerdy' appearance. It looked like he had emptied his locker and was carrying all his books home. I thought to myself, 'Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd.'

As I continued walking, I saw a few students deliberately running towards him. They knocked him over and sent his books scattering on the muddy ground. His spectacles went flying, and when he looked up I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes. My heart went out to him. So, I went over to him and as he crawled around looking for his glasses, I saw a tear in his eye.

As I handed him his spectacles, I said, "Those guys are jerks. Let me help you."

He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!" There was a big smile on his face.

It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude. I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived. As it turned out, he lived near me. We talked all the way home, and I carried his books. He turned out to be a nice guy. We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Jae, the more I liked him.

Monday morning came, and there was Jae with the huge stack of books again. I stopped him and said, "Are you planning to build some serious muscles by lugging this pile of books every day?" He just laughed and handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Jae and I became best friends. When we finished school, we both went on to different universities. When Jae completed his medical studies, he invited me for his graduation. He had been selected to give a speech on behalf of the students and he wanted me to be present.

On graduation day, I saw Jae. He looked great. He was one of those guys that really found himself after high school. He seemed more confident and actually looked good in glasses. And judging by the people around him, he had become one of the most popular guys on campus.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began. "Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years - your parents, your siblings, but mostly your friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story."

I just looked at my friend with incredulity as he told the story of the first day we met. He had planned to kill himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so that no one would have to clean his clutter later. He also related how he had stashed his mother's sleeping pills and how he had planned to commit suicide.

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment.

"But that afternoon I unexpectedly met Mark. We spent some time together talking and laughing. I realised at the moment that if I had killed myself, I would have missed out on many other similar occasions that might follow."

Then he turned directly to me and said, "So you see, my friend, when you talked to me that day, you actually did a lot more. You saved my life."

-end-

source: my sister's exam paper.