Robbie Reyes

I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to fulfil your request but I hope you like it and I give it justice!

- - - - 

Poison to my heart.

That's what my mother always used to say... or maybe it started just after my father abandoned us on my eleventh birthday...

"You fall in love and then they up and leave you... blackening your soul. Destroying your heart. For the sake of yourself and for my sanity don't fall in love ______. Don't fall into the same trap I did. Don't repeat my mistakes." 

She repeated those words to me on her hospital bed before cancer took her last breath away from the Earth.

"______?"

"______!" a voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

I glanced around the room to see numerous pairs of eyes trained on my slouched form.

"Sorry." I mumble before shooting up straight in my seat.

My mother would shoot me if she witnessed my 'un-ladylike' postures I've slowly begun to adapt.

"We are twenty minutes out. You might want to get prepped. This is going to be a rough one." Phil spoke his orders, giving me a gentle smile of understanding.

I nodded  before I headed towards my locker to collect my weapons ready for the mission ahead.

A.D.A

or Ada for short.

I had managed to unlock my locker before feeling a presence beside me.

"Hi." they spoke softly, but their gruff voice didn't make it sound so soft after all.

"Robbie." I greeted, without looking up at him.

"______." he returned in a similar monotone voice making me smile.

No _____!

Men are poison.

I will not let my heart get torn apart like my mother.

It left her weak and unstable.

The doctors told me her fragile state caused the cancer to spread faster.

I will not die to the hands of someone who pretends to love me.

"I'm prepping for the mission. Should you not?" 

"Short. Simple. Sweet. Same ol'. Same ol'." he chuckled, leaning against the adjoining locker to mine.

"Best way to keep it." I smirked, still refusing to look at him as I grabbed my leather jacket first and shrugged it on.

"Can I ask a question?" He asked, wringing his hands together after a silent pause.

"You just did." I returned, without missing a beat.

"Why are you so cold towards me? It burns me." he said.

"No pun intended, but cold extinguishes fire." I spoke.

"Correction. Water and starvation of oxygen extinguish fires." he smirked, smugly.