Chapter 11 - No, Your Not Okay

It was the middle of the game, and we were winning. Our team was so far unbeatable. I was so proud. Alexandra and I moved in sync, always knowing what the other wanted to do. I was a bit worried about my new best friend though. She walked slower than usual. I always asked if she was alright, and she would always reply she was just a little tired. I hated that she hated when people worried about her. And today just showed how much she didn't tell me.

At the end of the game Alexandra was on our shoulders, for she had made the winning goal. 7-6. It was a very heated game, and I was so proud. We let her down, and we all walked down to DQ for ice cream. Alexandra was still a bit slow, so I walked with her.

“Are you sure you're okay?”

“Perfect, Dev. Stop worrying. You know I don't like it when you worry.”

“But-” She cut me off again

“No. I'm fine.” I was soon to figure out she was lying.

We were all sitting on the high seats around a round table, eating ice cream. Nathan was impersonating that vampire guy from Twilight when suddenly Alexandra stopped laughing. Nathan stopped as soon as he realized she stopped. Alexandra looked very pale all of a sudden.

“Alex?” Nathan asked tentatively. Even Nathan called her Alex. Her eyes had rolled to the back of her head. She had fainted. Why hadn't she told me something was a little messed up?

“Lex!” I exclaimed, jumping off the stool. I held her head in my arms, crying. I'm such a wuss.

Conor had already called 911, and said the ambulance was on the way. I feared this would happen. That maybe her stubbornness to tell me when something was wrong, something would go wrong. And now here I am in the middle of DQ with Alexandra unconscious.

The paramedics arrived and took her away. They said they were going to Skyridge hospital because the one that was closer to DQ didn't have the equipment to help her. Great Alexandra, your scaring the crap outta me.

I tried to go with her but Nathan held me back.

“Let me go, Nathan! I need to go with her!” I protested. He only shook his head no, looking sad. I know it was hard for him, too. Alexandra was like an older sister to him, but he couldn't just let me stay here. “Please, let me go!” He shook his head again. “Then move your butt and get in the car!”

“What car?” he asked. His voice was so small. So un-Nathan like.

“Conor's car. Hurry up! Unless you want to stay here.” He shook his head violently. We got in the car and Conor drove us to the hospital. Thank god his mom came with us, otherwise we would be toast.

Ahh! Alexandra was being a little naive, don't you think?