Chapter 16 - Not What It Looks Like

I can't believe she did this. It was so unexpected. Alexandra was unexpected, but this was not Alexandra.

I walked around the lockers trying to find Alexandra as school ended 2 seconds ago. She just ran out the door and I couldn't find her. But when I did find her, I wish I didn't.

“Lex?” I asked. I could hear the disbelief in my voice.

“Dev, it's not what it looks like!” she said.

“Well it looks like you were just kissing Jake!” I yelled. Jake was like a brother. It hurt. A pang of jealousy shot through me. It was like getting punched a billion times in the chest.

“Then it's exactly what it looks like.”

“Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why were you kissing him?”

“Because.”

“Because what?”

“Because she was here alone and I kissed her, alright?” Jake stepped in suddenly.

“I was here alone waiting for Devin!” she shouted at Jake. That was the first time I heard her call me Devin in a long time. It was always Dev, even the occasional Jelly Bean. Ever since I ate all her jelly beans she called me that.

“Then why did you kiss back?”

“Because it would've been rude not to, wouldn't it?”

“She proves a point,” I said quietly.

“What was that, Rossi?” Jake asked. He sounded furious. Jake was never like this.

“I said, she proves a point,” I told him, louder this time. He just punched me. Hard right in the gut. “What the crap was that for?”

“I-I-I don't k-know. I'm sorry,” he said, with fear suddenly in his eyes.

“Wait, where's Lex?” She had disappeared. No where to be seen. Worry knotted deep inside of me.

“Not again!” Jake started walking away.

“Not again?”

“I've known her since kindergarten. She does this a lot.”

“This?”

“Running away.”

“Oh.”

“And I always find her in the same spot.”

“Where?”

“In my car.”

“What?”

“In my car.”

“She has the keys to your car?”

“She has a copy, just in case she needs to get away.”

“Get away?”

“From reality.”

“How come you seemed mad at first, when we first realized she was gone?”

“Because lately, she comes into my car to hurt herself.”

“What?”

“Let's just see what she's done this time.”