Chapter 10 -Hide and Seek-

I wasn’t even sure why I was so stressed; exactly that thought should be the reason why I should feel better. But I was strangely tense and worried despite everything...

“You’re just exhausted, Esme. She will be fine; Carlisle’s fine and we all are certainly fine, too. Relax, mom,” I heard the unmistakable voice only centimeters behind me.

I smiled, but didn’t turn around. Edward chuckled lightly and massaged my tense shoulders. I sighed deeply and gave into his touch. He laughed even more, but kept on working his magic.

“Where’re Bella and Renesmee?” I asked, only half-comprehensible, I enjoyed his massage pretty much.
“At the cottage already, Nessie was tired. I was just returning to see how Carlie is doing, but the thoughts of the others show that she is nearly herself again.”

“Yes,” I said softly. 

“Maybe wanna go on a walk?” he asked me. I thought about it and said yes.

“Just a minute,” I said and hurried upstairs.
“Carlisle?” I called. He poked his head out from Alice’s room. I walked to his side and peeked around his shoulder. They were still playing with her. “I'm going for a walk with Edward, maybe wanna join us later?” I asked him breathlessly. The stairs were too much; maybe I should make more sports, or sports at all for that matter. I smirked, but returned back to wait for Carlisle’s answer.

“Of course, have fun. I’ll join you shortly. I will examine Carlie and then go for a hunt, on the way back I will be there,” he smiled brilliantly. I leaned up on my tiptoes and kissed him briefly, but sweetly.

“Get a room,” Emmett called to us. Rose hit him on the head. “Ouch,” he muttered. Carlisle and I laughed and kissed once more (also to annoy Emmett), but he didn’t say anything this time.

I waved goodbye, hurried into our room to get a jacket and then walked downstairs, where Edward was still waiting. He held his arm out to me. “Such a gentleman,” I smiled at him.
“Always, my mother taught me that,” he winked. I laughed and wound my arm through his.

It hasn’t snowed that much yet this winter, but it was still cold. Everything looked ready for snow, so barren and grey, but somehow still beautiful.

Edward and I walked into the woods, where the others always go hunting. We were walking the same way to the cottage, but turned. Edward carried me over the river, which was fun. He smirked at me mischievously and then swept me up. I was startled and let out a cry that turned into laughter a second later.

We walked around in silence for a while. Edward walked at my pace right next to me and I had my arm wound through his again. I held my jacket tighter around me, as it was really cold. I wore my thick winter jacket, a scarf and boots, but still.

“Are you cold?” Edward asked, but of course he knew the answer. I nodded anyway. A mischievous smile appeared on his face once again and I looked at him suspiciously.

He laughed at my expression and all of a sudden tipped my shoulder, said “You’re on” and ran away.

“Hey!” I called surprised and could only see his disappearing form. “How the hell am I going to catch you?” I asked exasperated and lifted my arms up in despair.

But I could only hear loud laughing, so I sighed and started running through the forest to find Edward.

I was running, but couldn’t find him. “Here,” he called and looked at me from behind a tree.
“I will get you!” I half-threatened and ran to the tree. Of course, he was already gone and laughed at me from the other side of the clearing we were in.