Chapter 27 -Happy New Year-

Edward and Emmett waved and smiled at me. I waved back and our men were out of the house.

“That outfit is so cute,” Rose smiled at Carlie. “Yes, I thought so, too when I bought it,” I told her and rocked my daughter a bit. She was wearing a dark blue dress with a white bow around the waist. Fitting to that, Alice gave her a blue hair band and blue shoes.

At that moment, a sleepy looking Nessie walked down the last steps of the staircase.

“Hello, sweetie,” Bella greeted her and swooped her up in a hug. “Did I miss much?” she asked and waved at us. “No, just Alice’s furious makeup and hair session,” Bella told her jokingly. “Hey,” Alice muttered. Bella and Renesmee ignored that.

“Do you want to get ready now, too?” “Yes, my things are upstairs in yours and daddy’s room, right?” Nessie asked. “Yes, I will help you,” Bella told her sweet daughter and they walked upstairs.

“So sweet,” I murmured. Rose stroked my shoulder and laid her head on it. “Yes, they are,” she smiled and made grimaces at Carlie.

An hour later, we were all ready to go. I had packed for all eventualities. I put Carlie into her warm coat and hat and put her then into the pram with a warm blanket. The diaper bag was prepared for nearly everything. I had packed a pair of flats for later and wore a thick coat, hat, scarf and gloves. Bella was dressed similarly but for appearances only. Nessie was in her arms and wore the same array of winter clothes plus boots. Rose, Alice and the Denalis were a little bit lighter dressed, but still suitable for winter.

Sue and Leah were just coming down the stairs, Sue dressed like most of us and Leah only dressed in a warmer jacket, she wouldn’t get cold anyway. “Ready?” Kate asked and opened the door. “Do you have the keys?” I asked Alice. “Yep, I will lock the door,” she called. “Okay.”

“So, where are we going?” I asked Alice when she was walking next to me and Rose along the path to the chairlift. Carlie was still sleeping soundly and only opened her eyes until she had her pacifier back. I rocked the pram while walking. “I won’t tell you everything, but the guys wanted to start in one of the big lodges around the tracks.”

I nodded and thought about what they could have possibly planned. I found it weird that they planned it at all, but well…

Half an hour later, we were down at the lodge and walked inside. Everything was decorated for New Year’s Eve with golden and silver balloons, garlands and table decoration. It somehow suited the flair of the building. It was already 9 pm and it was dark outside.

We walked into the big ball room and I noticed that everyone was dressed in the style of the 20s. “A 20s party?” I asked Alice. “Yes,” she squealed and gave every girl a different kind of headdress that fit to the outfit. I had a hair band with sparkling gems fitting to my ear rings. It had an extravagant pattern at the right side. I put it into my loose hair. Alice had only made them curlier.

“Look, Grandma,” Nessie called and ran to me. She showed me her headband with a white feather. “That is very pretty,” I told her and kissed her forehead. She laughed and ran back into Bella’s arms.

“You look just like you just came here out of the twenties,” I laughed and Rose swirled around. “I like it, too. Definitely better than the 60s and 70s,” she winked. One of the employers took our coats and all ten of us walked onto the dance floor.

Kate and Tanya instantly started to dance to the beat and of course already had men dancing with them. Just then I spotted Garrett, who smoothly pushed the other man away and danced with Kate.