Chapter 22 - New Year

It was seven-thirty when all was finally arranged.

I looked at myself in the mirror. Maybe the dress was a bit long for a more New Year Eve party...

        “Mom!” I called.

        She started to climb the stairs. “Tell me, dear.”

        “Can you help me cut the dress?”

        “Cut the dress?!”

        “Yes, it is too long, cut it off just above the knee.”

        “Look... it's cold out there.” She warned me.

        “I can hold it on.” I handed her the scissor. She began to cut and when we finally got everything I looked at her, deeply, as I didn’t do for weeks. “What do you think?”

        “You know perfectly well that even if you were dressed really badly you’d be always look perfect for me.”

        “As always, you make me feel in the clouds with those compliments.”

        “Good. Today I'm also going out.”

        “With whom?” I wanted to know.

        “Oh, with Jared...” She smiled.

        “He seems very friendly.” I always knew that after the death of my father, my mother and he were really good friends. And, as I am not of those who are upset by the mother following with her life on, I supported her.

        “Will you help me?” She asked.

        “Doing what?” I made her a question.

        “Arranging me.”

        Arranging my mother? It doesn’t seem of her. “Of course.”

I looked at the clock and the party was going to start in twenty minutes. I had time.

I chose a simple black dress that my mother had and didn’t use for years. I did her makeup: her eyes had a light eye shadow, her lips were red, she didn’t want, but I had to do it, and, eventually she accepted. For the heels, I realized that it wasn’t my mother’s comfort zone, so I gave her some flat shoes, opened in front area.

        “You are ready.” I said, looking at her, smiling, because she was looking so good.

        “Thank you.” She thanked, looking in the mirror. “It doesn’t even look me.”

        “Of course you look like you. Only you're not in your comfort zone, or to hide your beautiful body from a uniform.”

        “Go to your party. You have only five minutes.”

        “I get there the time I want, and right now I'm not going to rush because I’m with you.”

        "Caroline?" He called me a child that I had 'visited' in the morning.

        "Yes dear?"

        "Help us."

        "You know how the thing that you want me to find looks like?"

        "It’s a Medallion." She said, and walked away.

        “Care?” My mom was talking to me.