Am I Ready For This?

Jay's POV

We headed for the place where the blue lion is located: the canyons. The place was huge so I guess they wanted to hide where no one could find it.

"Okay, I admit it. This is super freaky", Lance said.

"Well... it's not every day you get to find something called Voltron", I commented.

I was trying to keep my energy as I was pretty nervous about this whole thing. One day, I was studying to go into space, the next day, I was trying to find a blue lion. I knew my life was crazy, but not this crazy

"I'm getting a reading", Hunk said, taking me out of my thoughts, as he walked off.

We all followed him to a cave in front of us.

"S-So w-we're going in t-there?", I stuttered.

"Wait... Jay... Are you afraid of the dark?", Lance asked.

"W-Well, I.."

Yeah, it's true. I'm afraid of the dark. But it wasn't your typical fear of thinking that a monster might get you in the middle of the night. It was much more than that. My phobia of the dark was tied into my childhood trauma. So much had happened back then that I couldn't get over. It was hard to..

"It's fine. I mean, everyone can be afraid of the dark sometimes--", Lance started to say.

"Can we just... not talk about it? Please?", I interrupted.

Everyone stared at me after my sudden remark. I didn't mean for it to sound so rude. But I just met these people, and it was something that I didn't want to talk about right now.

In the Cave

Everyone started to enter the cave one by one, but I was still at the entrance. It was like I couldn't even move an inch further. I was shaking as I tried to give myself the courage to step into the cave.

"Jay?", someone called out to me.

I looked up to see Shiro still standing by the entrance.

"Are you okay?", he asked.

"I-I can't move...", I muttered, "I'm scared."

I didn't know this at the moment, but I was going into a panic. Everything was blurry and all I heard were muffled voices. Then I felt someone holding my hand, the first thing I felt before my panic attack.

"--ay... Jay.. Jay!"

I flinched at the sound of my name as I started to regain my vision. I saw Shiro standing in front of me with a worried look on his face.

"It's okay. You're gonna be okay", he reassured.

I looked around me and saw the others standing by the entrance as well.

"I... I-I'm sorry..", I said softly.

"What are you sorry for? It's not your fault", Shiro said, "Just hold onto my hand while we're in."

I nodded as I squeezed his hand a bit tightly as he led me into the cave. I kept my head down but still listened to the conversation.

"What are those?", I heard Shiro ask.

"These are the lion carvings I was telling you about", Keith answered.

I looked up to take a peek at what everyone was so mesmerized about. And it was true about what Keith was talking about earlier. I tried to push away my fear and looked around. The carvings were very interesting.

"Oh, wow...", I said softly, "They're all over the place."

"Hey, Jay?", I heard Lance say.

I hummed in response and turned to face him.