6. To the core

Naomi jumped on her arm. Her petite figure had her half dyed, platinum blonde hair with streaks of pink bristled against Callie's arm. Loose gold tie dangled around Naomi's neck as she inquired. "Hey, where have you been? You're even late today. Since when have you ever come late? That's my thing."

Callie glanced at her. Despite her foul mood, she felt slightly at ease upon seeing Naomi. "Just some dad stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary."

Naomi's cadet grey eyes, which usually looked as pale as storm clouds in the raging wind, narrowed. "I don't believe you, but I'll drop it either way."

Callie grew silent as they walked through the hallway that was arranged with lockers on each wing. Students dressed in Gordon Newt's preppy uniform mainly clad with a lighter shade of azure blue buttoned down shirt, a metallic gold tie and its very own checkered blue and gold above-the-knee skirt or ankle length trousers, were either leaning against the silver coated lockers or walking down the hallway like Callie and Naomi did.

The only distinct feature in every student's uniform was the option of choosing one's own school jacket. Callie occasionally chose to go without one but Naomi's soot-black leather jackets were her signature style.

Naomi whispered loud enough for her to hear. "Five o'clock. Pierce's coming your way."

Callie groaned when her eyes caught him drawing closer with his usual side kick, Harvey Sykes by his side. So much for having a peaceful day. He just had a way of ruining it.

Damien Pierce had messy dark hair that looked lighter under the fluorescent bulb and sea-blue eyes many found intoxicating. He was much taller than most boys in the school. One would have thought he'd take up a sport that matched his perfect height and athletic build but none of them caught his fancy. He'd always wear the most dazzling smile on his lips and was popular among everyone; boys and girls alike. He was a handsome son of a bitch, everyone knew it. Too bad his overbearing ego sometimes outweighed his looks. Sometimes Callie forgot how good looking he was whenever he opened his mouth to speak.

Proving her right once again, Damien took her hand swiftly, and placed his chapped lips on it. "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind."

Callie pulled her hand away. His constant flirtation irked her probably more than his mere presence. Not even his Shakespeare quote could switch up her mood. "Go away, Pierce."

Damien gaped at her response. Usually she was tolerant of his flirting but now, she was too exhausted by this morning's mishap to have time for anyone. "What seems to put you in a bad mood?"

"Your whole presence. I'm late for class. Don't you have a mirror to stare at for hours, to get to?"

He chuckled, leaving a rumble in his velvety voice. "Oh mi Bella, I already did." Except that wasn't sarcasm. That was true. He would spend hours admiring himself and speaking to his reflection seductively. There was nothing more vain than that. The only person that found it endearing was Viola Fawn and that was another level of vanity radiating around her on its own.

Naomi snickered. "You should have just kept quiet. Answering made you look so stupid."

He raised an eyebrow. "Isn't it funny that I forget you actually exist?"

Callie propped her hands on her hips, wearing a look of suppressed anger that didn't go unnoticed. "Making fun of my friend calls for a time out. I don't want to see you for the next few hours."

"But-"

"No buts, Pierce." Callie's jaw clenched. She certainly had enough of this. Her father was going to jail. She didn't need to listen to any of Pierce's bullshit.