11. A glue called family

Callie drew towards the low level gate and pushed it open. Behind it, was a simple brick house flaked with a mighty pecan tree and enough car space to fill a dozen cars. Callie's mom had inherited it from her own deceased grandfather, though they didn't move here until almost a year after her mom's demise. The Blancos didn't actually own much and renovations weren't a peak in their thoughts. Though its dark driftwood doors and brick walls were in good shape, the windows on the other hand, needed proper replacements because of the rotten corners that had been there for over three decades. Despite the little flaws, it had become their home and they had grown to love it.

Pinnate branches from the pecan tree swayed back and forth, following the soft whistling sounds of the wind, as its withering leaves fell on the evenly cut grass and chirping birds tweeted loudly over the rising pitch. Leaves crunched under her feet as Callie made her way to the front porch of her house. She wasn't surprised to see Aunt Georgia skimming inside the house when Callie entered. "Hi, everyone."

Aunt Georgia bustled towards her, with a glowing smile twirling on her lips. "Oh Lissie. You're back, what took you so long?"

Not ready to talk about Larkin, especially with dad eyeballing her with curiosity, Callie decided to go on the defensive. "What I'm interested in knowing, is why dad thought it'd be convenient for him to quit his job?"

Abe grunted. "I'm not going to be held accountable by the daughter for doing what my gut told me to. I want nothing to do with that family and that company. All a bunch of psychotic beasts."

"Again with the choice of words, dad. Some people may find it offensive." Callie's words tethered with caution.

Giving another grunt, his brown eyes darted around the room. His manic expression resurfaced. "I just don't want to hear about those people again."

Callie tensed. Now there was no way she'd tell her dad about her new job. "So what are you going to do for money? We can't survive with my job at Alpha's."

"Fine, I'll get another job. I don't want you to worry about that. I'm your father and you're my responsibility." Then his eyes sparkled up. "I could professionally open a restaurant. Your mom did say that I made the best waffles."

Aunt Georgia glanced at Callie, before her goddaughter let out a disgruntled sigh. "Dad, this isn't the time for risks. I know how badly you want this, but we need to be logical."

His lips tightened, the excited look in his eyes had extinguished. "You think I'm not logical?"

Sensing the displeasure in his tone, Aunt Georgia quickly averted the topic. "Let's take a break for a while. We wouldn't want Ava to return from visiting her friend and overhear this conversation."

Abe grunted. "Noreena's mom won't drop her off till eight. It's impossible for her to come so soon."

Aunt Georgia burbled her words. "Never say never. Anyway, I have some amazing news for you, Lissie."

Abe shook his head, when he realized what was going to happen. "When you two start your gossip, it never seems to end. I'll be upstairs in my room." As he dragged his feet to the staircase, without waiting for their responses.

Once Abe was out of earshot, Callie's ears perked up immediately. "Now you've got my attention."

Judging from the way Aunt Georgia was beaming, Callie had an idea what it was about. The pale green hue of her eyes had a twinkle in them. A twinkle that would brighten because of- "I went on that date that I told you about, yesterday. I was almost going to cancel it because of Abe's arrest. But I am glad I didn't, cause it was worth it."

Callie couldn't help letting out a snort. "We all know that you're going to find one fault in him and dump him faster than a kid, who's running after an ice cream truck."