30. A place in your heart

Larkin was having a pretty long day. With the doctor's words still ringing in his head, he still didn't think he was ready for anything daunting today.

But then Maxime came towards him, with a demanding expression on his face when Larkin was trying to study for his classes. "I need to ask you a question and I need you to answer it honestly."

Larkin cursed. Few weeks ago, no one dared to talk to him and now, everybody had a piece of their mind to haul at him. He really wasn't in the mood for any of this. He had bigger problems to worry about. He just couldn't imagine not living in this house. All his memories of his parents were in here.

"Sure, as long as it's not about the raise you asked for last week."

"It's not." He gave a brief pause. "Are you interested in Leona? Is she the girl you were asking about? I'm sorry if I'm intruding—"

Larkin's eyes gleamed. "Leona? No. What gave you that idea?"

His annoyed look made Maxime let out a sigh of relief. "Whew, that's good to know. Leona told Mrs. Esther she was uncomfortable with you flirting with her. I only got to hear about it when Mrs. Esther told Reneé."

Larkin sputtered. "Flirting with her?" Fuck, he should have tried to clear the air with her when he had the chance. Now, she was going around saying bullshit about him. Larkin needed to have a talk with her. The last thing he needed was a possible lawsuit over something he didn't do.

Maxime narrowed his eyes. "If you like her, then it's okay, man. It's no big deal. I'm just curious about it. Not that I'd stop you. She and I are over, and she wants nothing to do with me. I should just......" His words trailed off, when Larkin's emerald eyes remained impassive. "Oh shit, I'm babbling so much. I should shut up now."

Larkin answered firmly. "I don't like Leona. Not in that way. I don't know why she'll go around saying stuff like that, without saying it to my face. And I'd like you to stop asking if I do."

Maxime pressed his lips together. "Sorry I jumped into conclusion. I'm just a little shaken up by the thought of her dating someone."

Larkin was getting tired of hearing all these and his impatience was getting the best out of him. His mind was on HIS house. If he lived somewhere else, then all of them would lose their jobs too. Callista would lose her job. Damn it. "If you care about her so much. Tell her."

Maxime untangled his dark hair with his fingers, while he spoke. "There are some things you can't undo. I learnt that with Leona."

"Do you know why I don't like you?" Larkin gave a disgruntled sigh.

He wore a fragment of a grin. It wasn't a full one that Larkin was used to, but it still held enough amusement in his eyes. "Cause you think of me as a nuisance?"

"True." Larkin said. Maxime tilted his lips up and Larkin continued. "But that's not the whole truth. When I see you, I see my old self. I used to be a funny guy. I know it's hard to believe but I also used to be popular with girls." Maxime's snort let Larkin chuckle a little bit. "I'm serious. I was just like you and it stings seeing you, cause it feels like I'm seeing my self and I wish I could revert a little bit back to that person. But I can't, even if I wanted to because my old self made a stupid mistake that I can't take back."

Maxime commented softly. "Wow, man. That's deep."

His eyes had a wistful emotion. "It's not fair I've made you feel inadequate and neither is it fair to know Leona thinks I was hitting on her."

Maxime chuckled. "She's a little stuck up but I'll talk to her."

Larkin scanned through his sullen face. "And you also like her. You know it's not too late to try the quick tips you taught me."