21. When Tables Turn

Callie had marched to the Hammell Manor, with a furious look on her face and banged on the front door. "Open up, Hammell. I know you're inside. It's not like you have somewhere else to be." After several knocks and no reply, she called out again. "Open the damn door or I'll break it open."

The mahogany door creaked open, with Larkin standing at the other end. Her breath hitched, as she stared at how disheveled he looked. His regular shaggy hair tousled around, and his eyes narrowed right below the small gashes that tore through one of his eyebrows. The long jagged scar slithered tightly when his lips thinned. "What the hell, Callista. It's almost eight and I had already started sleeping. Do you know how many sleeping pills I had to take for that to happen?"

Callie momentarily forgot how angry she felt, when she realized how attractive his mussy look was. But then he spoke and her anger resurfaced. "Is this your way of proving why I should stay away from you? I can't believe people were right. You are truly a beast. The beast of all beasts."

His face fell, making her wince. "They call me that?"

"It doesn't matter. So this is what you do. Act all vulnerable and then, stab me in the back when you get the chance." Callie circled around her words carefully.

Even dressed in his loose faded grey pyjamas, he still exuded command without even trying. Larkin demanded. "What the hell are you talking about?"

She slapped the letter against his chest. "You tell me."

With narrowed eyes, he scanned through it. But then he wore a genuinely surprised look, as his eyes widened that instant and then he cursed. Callie was taken aback. That had to be the first time she'd heard him use that word. "I didn't do this. I would never have asked for this."

Callie gritted her teeth. "Then who did?"

Larkin's eyes flickered to the paper again. When his eyes caught something, he swore again. "Fuck. I can't believe she did this?"

"Who's the 'she' you're going on about?"

He glowered. "My aunt. And I'm done playing her games. You should go back home. I'll deal with this."

Callie protested. "I'm not leaving until I know this won't bite me in the ass later. Is this over?"

"The charges will be dropped. I'll make some calls and all of this would be over." Then his gaze softened. "I want you to know that I would never have done something to your father like that. I'm no beast."

Callie sighed, wishing she hadn't made that "beast" comment earlier. She was angry, but she didn't need to be insensitive too. "Just tell your aunt to quit dragging my family into whatever issues you two have. We're not bait."

Larkin's gaze dropped. "I'll do what I can. I'm sorry, Callista."

Something in the way he looked sombre, made her do the unlikely. Callie drew her feet closer and pecked his cheek lightly. An action that surprised both of them. Her lips grazed the edge of his scars and fluttered her heart. It was a simple peck on the cheek with no intentions of a romantic gesture, but it somehow raced her heart a beat faster. "Good night, Larkin. You should get some rest."

Larkin frowned. "Not till I end this debacle with my aunt once and for all."

★★★
Once Callista had left, he made some calls to Edgar Callum who dealt with the issue at stake. He dialed his phone one more time, and the line fell through after a second ring.

"I've been expecting your call, Larkin." The calm tone in her soothing voice rang through his ears.

"Aunt Zoë. I wish I could say the same." His words came out harshly.

Her melodic laugh echoed. "You've always had that dramatic flair in you. I guess this was the only way I could get your attention."

His nose flared. "So you're admitting you did it on purpose."

"It depends on what you're talking about." The amusement in her voice played on. Larkin was finding it hard not to yell at her, but he needed to be careful. He didn't need to play her games and despite her actions, she was still his aunt.

He snapped. "Stop teasing me."

"Who knew I could get a reaction from you because of a simple family." She went on to say. "Here I was, thinking you were immune to emotions."

Larkin squeezed the handle of the phone, resisting the urge to react the way she wanted. He calmed himself down and let out a low tone. "I don't know what you want-"

"No, you know exactly what I want. I have been trying to get to you for months and you've been avoiding my calls. I've lost my patience long enough. The company is falling apart. And then for the first time in months, the only time you actually made contact with the board was to withdraw the charges made over an issue you failed to oversee. I knew you had to have a connection with the Blancos, so I tried again with this. Lo and behold, you drag yourself out of hibernation over this." He could picture Aunt Zoë twirling a lock of her titian brown hair, wearing a devilish smile on her full oxbow lips. "Your parents would have been so disappointed in you."

Larkin's monotone voice held a stern note. "Out of respect for you, Aunt Zoë, I'm choosing not to say anything that could be deemed rude. I'm the CEO. I call the shots. If a repeat of this happens again, I won't hesitate to get a replacement."

Aunt Zoë's mocking laughter grew louder. "Are you threatening me with a position I've held longer than you were born?"

"No, I'm saying it's time we spoke in person. You and I should hold a meeting here, at the Manor." Larkin's response was received by silence for a couple of seconds.

She let out a sigh. "Fine. Since you're insisting, I'll clear my schedule. What day works for you? I'm a busy woman and I'm not going to sacrifice my time for you."

Larkin pressed his lips. He knew he was letting a viper into his den but this time, he was ready for it.

★★★
I'm in a celebratory mood because this book hit another milestone. 💋👯👯💃💃. You have no idea how happy I am right now and I'm willing to share my excitement by posting a bonus chapter, after this.
Don't forget to check it out, my lovely STYBites.
Xoxo
Jasmine