8. All that glitters

Larkin tapped his fingers nervously. The security men had informed him of Callista Blanco's presence and he had to let her in. A sublime scent of magnolia filled the living room, as the clicking of her footsteps drew closer. Callista's dark brown hair bounced delicately on her shoulders when she finally entered.

Her bronze colored blouse almost matched her eyes, giving her an allure when he looked at her. Her smile was wide, crinkling the edge of her cheeks. "Hi, ehm-good evening, sir-er, I mean Mr. Hammell."

The corners of his cheek twitched. He didn't know what he found funnier. Her exaggerative smile or her blatant nervousness. "Just call me, Larkin. I'm nineteen. Not much older than you yourself. So I'm sure using my first name would be fine."

She rolled his name out slowly from her lush pink lips, testing how it sounded on her mouth. Larkin watched her steadily, until she caught his gaze and pulled on another bright smile. "Well it's nice to meet you, Larkin. Larkin Hammell."

"Ditto, Callista." Larkin's gaze flitted to the basket firmly held in her hands. "I'm guessing you're here because your father's a free man."

An unusual glint sparkled the deep shade of her eyes. "I'm here because I'm indebted to you. Your kindness is something I'll never forget. That's why I want to say thank you. For everything."

Larkin pursed his lips. He didn't want her to feel indebted to him. He wanted to fight the tugging feeling whenever he saw her and also couldn't handle the thought of someone's father sitting in jail. He forced back a groan. At this rate, he'd never be able to successfully lead the company without being so lenient.

Seemingly uncomfortable by his silence, Callista stretched out her hand that had the large basket of fruits in them. Ranges of colors swirled around the different fruits that settled in the wooden basket. "I got you this. As a thank you gift."

"Just say thank you. Just say thank you. Come on." Larkin thought to himself, but instead found himself saying. "There's no need for that."

An eyebrow arched. "You want me to take it back?"

Biting down his lips, he hated how rude he sounded. In the past, he was the full smiling, always joking, rich jock. But that was a lifetime ago. All he wanted to do now was to curl in his bed and avoid human interaction. "No, no. I'll take it. Thank you."

"Where should I drop it?" Callista inquired, when she noticed how he wasn't making a move to stand up. She guessed how exhausting it would be for him to limp around with that walking stick in his hand.

Emerald eyes trailed to the door and called out gruffly. "Mrs. Esther. I need you." When he didn't get a response, he called out again. "Mrs. Esther."

A feminine melodic drawl resonated from another room. "Aye, aye. I'm coming. There's no need to yell."

Callista couldn't help chuckling. There was something almost motherly in the way she spoke.

A petite old woman dressed in long cornflower blue, cotton dress and black flats entered the gránd living room. Gray withering hair was pulled in a high bun and her nose was pointed and small; her lips were plump and her dark blue eyes held Callista's gaze with a warm smile. "Well, well. I never expected we'd have a guest. Especially one this beautiful. What's your name, sweetie?"

Larkin groaned before Callista could talk. "Thank you, Mrs. Esther. I just need your help with the basket."

Mrs. Esther spoke gently. "That's what Leona's there for."

"Leona took a sick leave yesterday. She broke her leg. Don't you remember? She won't be back till at least next week."

Mrs. Esther pressed her hand over her mouth. "Oh dear. How did I forget? It must have skipped my mind. I've been so busy lately and now my thoughts are all jumbled up. It must be because of the coffee I take everyday."

The narrowing of his eyes made Callista think that he didn't completely believe the elderly woman. "I guess so."

Callista quickly said. "Don't worry, I'll drop it off myself."

Mrs Esther grinned at her. "Bless your heart, you're so kind. Better than this lazy goof."

Larkin pointed to his right leg which had indented to the side. "My leg hurts."

"And I'm 63. My whole body aches. Let's see who has the bigger disadvantage now."

He looked exasperated. "I told you to retire a year ago and that I'd give you the best retirement package. But what did you say when I told you?"

Her bittersweet smile reached her eyes. "That you needed me. The young master needed someone around him."

Callista glanced at Larkin. The sunken look in his eyes had him lowering his gaze to his fidgety hands. "I'm fine on my own. That's exactly what I told you."

Mrs. Esther shrugged. "And yet, you still kept me employed. I wonder why."

A brief silence ensued between them. Callista knew this wasn't a conversation she needed to be around for.

Mrs. Esther's bubbly personality resurfaced almost immediately and relief washed over Callista. "Anyway, follow me, girl. I'll show you where it should be kept and you could run off to wherever you want."

Larkin's jaw clenched. "Don't bother looking for me later on. I need to take my meds and have my nap. You know how sleepy they make me."

Mrs. Esther nodded at him. Callista's voice softened. "I guess this is good bye, then."

Meeting her eyes, Larkin gave a curt nod. "Goodbye."

*******
Mrs. Esther questioned. "So tell me about yourself, sweetie. I don't even know your name."

"Callista, ma'am." While she wasn't fond of being called by her full name, she did like the formality the name Callista carried, as opposed to being called Callie.

"Oh, what a beautiful name. How do you know the young master, Callista? I've never seen you before and I've been working for the Hammells for the past 37 years. I practically raised his own father."

"Stop buggering the poor girl, Avó." Callie's gaze followed the direction of the husky voiced woman as they approached into the kitchen. There she stood, with her long, caramel hair flickering forward over her matching eye color and skin tanned to perfection. Staring at the basket in Callie's hand, she quipped. "You can drop it on that counter. Thank you."

Mrs. Esther grinned at the woman as Callie made her way to the counter. "Her name's Callista and she's Larkin's friend. How exciting, Reneé."

Callie found herself feeling startled. They were acting like Larkin didn't have friends at all. Callie found it hard to believe. He must have at least one. Right? "I wouldn't say friends, per se I'm more or less grateful to him. He helped my father out of jail, when he was wrongfully accused of stealing from his company."

Reneé nodded, as she whisked herself and opened up a top cabinet full of spices. "Ah yes, the Red Rosewood thief. I remember."

Great. So everyone knew about it. She guessed there was no secret within these walls. "Yep, that's it."

Mrs. Esther took Callie's hand when she stepped closer. "Well, bless your soul. Thank you for repaying it with kindness. Young Master might not show it, but he's truly grateful to you. Not many people have shown appreciation and he has been through a lot these recent years."

Callie stared at the warmth in her eyes and trailed her gaze to her frail hands that were webbed with lines of wrinkles. "I'm just doing what I have to do for my family." Looking between the two faces of the women in front of her, she added. "I have to get going. I wouldn't want to be late for work. Thanks again. I'm glad I met you both."

Reneé gave a salute to her, plastering a grin on her face. Mrs. Esther, on the other hand, pulled her into a hug, startling her. "Take care of yourself, my dear."

Callie took one last glance at them with a gentle smile and led herself out of the Manor.