Chapter 37

Two Months Later...

Elena was now sure that she could not go along with it any longer. The tall, handsome lecturer who was passionately describing the intricate details of International business policy was smiling lightly. He seemed almost happy to explain it to the future businessmen, present in the class. Elena on the other hand felt nothing but boredom.

It took Elena sixteen months to realize what she was trying to learn in college was simply not her forte. As the lights dimmed, hinting that a strong presentation was about to begin, she decided firmly that this was going to be her last class. I'm gonna drop out! Elena shrieked with joy in her mind. The excitement of the uncertainty had never felt so overpowering before.

With the epiphany draining out of her system, she realized that she would have never made the same decision, if Evan hadn't been absent for past months. It wasn't that Evan forced decisions on her. She just cared less about herself, than she should, with Evan around. Of course, Evan understood it before she'd even realized it. I've got to thank him, Elena decided.

Her cell phone vibrated silently inside her pocket. Even before she pulled it out, she knew who the caller was. Kyle.

Kyle was still the cute guy who had a heart melting smile, with a humor that never failed. Elena liked him a lot. But there was such lightness to the feeling, that both of them felt easy around each other's company. There was a definite chemistry between them, that seemed to be ineffable. A sudden level of peace that made them drop or rise to meet each other's mood. Kyle had rarely shown his anger in front of her, but things sure annoyed him. But to both their surprises, they were annoyed at the same things, just as the things that made them both laugh their hearts out.

"This is my last class Kyle... you're gonna have to wait." Elena whispered to herself, as she secured the phone between her fingers.

Kyle was persistent but so was Elena. She was smiling at the little game she was winning. After four long missed calls, Kyle finally gave up it seemed. Not more than thirty seconds had passed when her cell vibrated once again.

"Aaron the cyclone," the screen displayed brightly.

"Getting desperate huh Kyle?" She remarked, as she ignored the call as well.

Another thirty-second passed and this time it was Nina who called. Elena was having fun letting Kyle wait. She knew for a fact that it was he who was calling from Aaron and Nina's number. Elena stifled her laughter when she imagined three of them conspiring to disturb her class. It wasn't a new idea, of course.

When the next call came almost five minutes later, Elena finally decided her last business class was after all ignorable. She wouldn't miss Professor Ranchman's classes that much. Elena glided through and between the benches and was out the class, while her phone still buzzed in her hand.

"Evan... I'm so glad you..." her words were choked mid-air by a loud female voice. It was Nina.

"Ely... Evan... I." Nina was saying.

Elena knew for sure Nina was crying. And that revelation alone was enough to get her heartbeat twice the normal rate.

"Nina? What happened? What's going on?"

Nina didn't get to hear Elena's question. Someone grabbed the mobile phone away from her heart brokenly crying friend. It was Aaron. He was trying real hard to disguise his fear in his voice. Only that he didn't know he was failing miserably.

"Elena, where are you?" Aaron said with his voice faltering a little, even though he was yelling.

That was the moment Elena heard the pandemonium in the background. People were chattering in a tone that deciphered nothing, but that they were yelling at each other. It wasn't argument. From what she could hear, it was clear that they were simply trying to flow the message in a noisy place.

"I'm... What's going on Aaron?" Elena yelled, finding herself panicking by the growing second earning a few looks from her fellow peers.

"There's been an accident Elena... It's Evan."

"Is he okay?" Elena whined desperately.

"No... not in the least Ely. He... he..." Aaron couldn't continue and Elena found herself weeping silently over the phone.

It was Kyle who spoke the next. Thankfully he had found the calmness that both her best friends lacked.

"Elena, Evan's hurt, very badly. The emergency paramedics are running late. But they are going to be hereby less than two minutes. Look from what I know of procedure he's gonna be admitted in the nearest hospital from here..."

"Where's that?" Elena said finding herself speaking in the same official calm tone that Kyle had used.

A roar of siren was heard in the distant and Kyle got distracted, as he yelled the name of the hospital. Grace Hospital. Grace Hospital was almost an hour away. That meant the accident had happened at the outskirts of the town.

Even as Elena collected the details in her mind, she was running in her heels. It wasn't the most comfortable jog of her life, but she ran nonetheless. Elena caught a cab, promised to pay double the fare to the driver, if he was willing to break some traffic rules for her. She had to get there to the hospital as fast as she possibly could.

***************************************************************

Okay, I bet you didn't expect this one! I promise, the end to this story is less than five chapters away! I'm super excited to write it all down! Hope you guys like it!

Do comment on the story! Thanks once again for all the love and support! Your comments never fail to make my day!