Chapter 10: Cold Water

• Dedicated to To my lovely sister

Aaron turned restlessly from one side to another. Soaked in the complete darkness, Aaron was cursing himself at the moment. After two whole days of self-denial from the embarrassing encounter with Elena, finally this sleepless night was the time his mind was re-living the conversations.

He opened his eyes; the only source of light was the small space between the bottom of the door and the floor. Someone was outside in the kitchen, probably trying to fight their sleepless night as well. Maybe it was Elena.

The mere thought of Elena, gave him goose bumps, he shut his eyes once again tightly. But curiosity killed his embarrassment and he wanted to know what time it was. His head turned to where the clock was supposed to stand proud, but there was nothing denoting the time. Aaron pulled his hand to the bed stand to look for the clock, it wasn't there. Where the hell was the damn clock? He wondered.

The light went out, and the darkness invited itself in. Elena must've left. Aaron slapped, more like kicked himself mentally, for losing his control. He had to stop lurking around about Elena; he had to save at least some dignity, whatever was left of it in front of her.

But he still wanted to know what time it was! He tried fighting that strong urge to know the time, but it didn't budge.

"When did I become so weak?" Aaron asked aloud to no one particular.

He let out a long sigh as if he were holding his breath for a while and switched on the light. There was no clock in the bed stand. He obviously could've looked at his phone or his laptop, or his wrist watch or his iPod but he didn't. He just had to look at the damn clock!

He woke up from his bed and started to search for that little digital clock! After about twenty five minutes of his search mission he finally realized he had thrown the clock below the bed coz it had shone too brightly the night before.

He found the clock exactly where he thought it would be. The clock's enlarged red number said it was 1:30 am. He literally at that moment thought 'okay... now what?' .

He glanced around his room, one eye-brow lifted in pure annoyance of what he had just created- a total mess. Once again, he could've just called it a night and cleaned the room later in the day but no; instead he took off his shirt and got ready to tidy things up.

It took Aaron 25 minutes to create the mess but it took him an hour or so to clean it up. When the cleaning charade was over, he was tired as hell and thirsty too.

He looked around his room once again, all tidied up. All the clothes inside the closet, the shoes at the bottom of the closet, towels hanged, notes on the study desk with the laptop, and other gadgets. He let out another breath of relief and opened the door to go to the kitchen.

The usually noisy in the day house was filled with silence at the night. Kyle was always inviting people in. That guy was the perfect example of what being social meant.

Aaron switched on the light and drank the water from the fridge.

"You know there's warm water by the side of the fridge"

The voice took him by surprise, he almost lost his balance and threw the bottle but he caught it alright. Aaron slowly turned around and there was a lunatic on the counter sitting with a knife about to strike him and kill him mercilessly.

Just kidding... it was Elena but Aaron really was expecting a lunatic who was there to kill him. It was 2:30 for heaven's sake! What was Elena doing there?

"What the hell are you doing there?" Aaron voiced his thoughts.

"I said there's warm water by the fridge"

Aaron looked back and saw the water jar there.

"So?"

"So why drink from the fridge when there's warm water there?" she asked like a child desperate for answer.

"Because it's cold..."

"Huh?"

"I'm drinking the water from the fridge because its cooler"

"But you might get sick if you drink the cold water"

Whoa... was she worried about me? Aaron's head was gloating with happiness but maybe it was the time or the tiredness that he had it all under control.

"I don't get sick from just a little cold water..." Aaron shrugged.

Elena got off the counter lazily; it was obvious that she was tired. She had a chocolate bar in her hand and with the same hand she held the water bottle(which was obviously cold! What the hell was the matter with this chick? Aaron was thinking!) and started walking towards the "yellow room" as Aaron used to quote.

"But I thought everyone gets sick from cold water in the night..." she mumbled loud enough for Aaron to hear it followed with a long lazy yawn.

"Hey..."

Elena stopped and turned around, her eyes were almost closing. What was she doing at this late hour?

"Huh?"

"Goodnight" Aaron gave his one of the best charming smiles, not so sure if actually Elena was seeing it or not.

She shook her head without a care in the world and turned back as she waved "good morning!"

Typical Aaron! Why was he so clumsy when it came to Elena? He would have been dating any other girl if he were trying this hard to impress any of them, but nothing went right when it came to Elena.

"Oh yeah... nice body ... it's almost winter. If cold water doesn't get you sick the nudity will surely do the job..." Elena said lazily resting her head on the door which was almost half way closed.

Aaron blushed; he automatically looked downwards and started rubbing the back of his head.

"Umm... yeah thanks for the advice"

"Welcome!" and she slammed the door shut.

First decent conversation with Elena... that could be taken as a step right? If not date her, I could at least be friends with her right? Aaron thought.

Aaron took a sip of the cold water. He smiled goofily and put it back inside the fridge with the other bottles and pulled out a "Three Musketeers". He wanted to have the candy just coz Elena was probably having one at that precise moment.

He was about to go inside his room, but once again feeling so damn cheesy made a U turn towards the fridge. Instead of opening it, he pulled out a glass and poured warm water into it and took a sip, smiling all the while.