Chapter 20: Wrong

Elena felt like her head was about to blow up into pieces, she shouldn't have drunk that much. No more drinking, she made a note to herself just like she's done for the past hundred's of times she had gotten wasted. But she couldn't remember the time when she had gotten so wasted that she still felt drunk the next day she woke up. In fact if truth be told, she was drunk.

She got up from the couch and almost fell. For her, right then the world felt like the Columbus ride that she always hated in the fun park. She got up, but almost tripped on the flat surface! Alex was lying on the kitchen floor, but Britney was already awake and making herself a coffee, looking no better than Ely herself.

Britney passed a small smile to her and picked up a blanket and put it on Alex. And for a second Elena thought about how she had judged Britney to be a slutty bitch with no decency. She felt guilty for having judged people on the first impression they made or without knowing them at all. She wanted to go hug Britney but once again tripped on her own leg and almost made a crash landing but caught herself on time.

"Are you okay?" Britney asked sounding concerned.

"Yeah I'm just a little tipsy that's all."

"We haven't officially met. I'm Britney... I was here in your party last time, but couldn't really say hi."

"Oh I'm Elena."

"Yeah... you know Alex here have told a lot about you guys." She said handing Elena a cup of strong coffee.

Elena really didn't want to chit chat but Britney seemed to want to talk more. Elena couldn't be sure if she was seeing it coz she was drunk or was it simply that Britney's eyes were glowing. She felt like her eyes were covered with a thin layer of glass and if Elena denied her what she wanted, the glass would break and all hell would come crashing down.

Taking the refreshing smelling coffee to her palm carefully so that she wouldn't drop it, Elena asked "Oh yeah? What did Alex say?"

At that, Britney's glassy eyes looked like the sun was shining on it. Elena smiled a little, she knew she was getting that reaction to her question.

"Well, I know about the hots that Aaron have for you... I mean gee... you're so lucky. All the girls round this area are zeroing in on him but he doesn't even see them."

Elena felt her heart swelling into one giant bulk when Britney shared an incident when a girl kinda asked Aaron out but he kindly refused her telling "Sorry, I have a girl waiting for me..." and swiftly moved to the table Elena was waiting on.

"I swear that chick, she wanted to rip your hair out... she was so mad."

At that point Elena had stopped listening. All she could picture was the scene that Britney had just described. All she could think of was, "That was so sweet of him..."

Britney had moved from one story to another but Elena didn't hear a word of it. The first story blew her mind away, she knew Aaron was sweet but the sweetness had never hit her until today. Elena uttered a poor excuse and swiftly took herself to her room and grabbed the first thing that got into her hand and went to the bathroom.

Her cheeks were so hot, she felt like she had just gulped a bottle full of vodka. Without giving any more thoughts to the words uttered by Britney that were playing on a loop to her head, she drenched herself in the shower. The water that flowed from the tiny holes crashed on Elena's body and drenched her clothes but she didn't care about it, she kept returning to the scene that she was trying to avoid the most. Her eyes were closed, feeling the water hit her, listening to the tickling sound of the water crashing onto her body only to fall and land to the tiled floor.

She smiled to herself, if anyone had asked she couldn't have answered why... but she was smiling. And although she was drunk, she hadn't felt so much in peace as she was feeling right then. It was like she could feel the missing piece coming back to her... she felt wanted and cared for.

When she got out of the shower, the first thing she saw was Aaron. She felt herself blush, and before she knew it Aaron was in front of her kissing her. But as quickly as it happened Aaron moved away, turned away from her, leaving her wanting for more...

She acted without any conscience; she pulled Aaron to her and started kissing him frantically, like she would miss something if she wouldn't kiss him right then and there. She felt her heartbeat rising up to its peal like an intuitive warning before something bad happened, she felt it behind her ears, on her cold palms that were touching his neck, she felt it in the tiny hair standing straight on her neck... she wanted to stop, every inch of herself was yelling it was wrong, but she didn't.

As the lasting kiss lingered, she felt the last bit of alcohol leaving her system. She was sober and she had stopped kissing Aaron for a good five seconds - a few seconds after Aaron had stopped kissing her back, but still they didn't move. They stayed that way for a long time it seemed, lips to lips, her hands around his neck, his arms to her waist. They both remained silent like the world weren't moving and people weren't there. They just stood there... feeling nothing.

As if on sync, both of them left each other and swiftly moved a little further away. Even before both of them could think of what sounds to utter, they noticed the girl in the orange skirt standing right behind them. Nina... she wore this look of judgment on her face and did little to disguise it. Then both Aaron and Elena were confused to whom it was directed at.

"Hey..." Elena said as sweetly as her embarrassment allowed her to.

"Hey you..." Aaron said flowingly with such anger in his voice that was both accusing and fearing all directed towards Nina.

Suddenly without any supervision entered a huge elephant in the room, the environment just got plain awkward. Elena getting the hint that Nina wanted to talk to Aaron, left the place and entered her room and shut the door behind.

She supported herself to the door and clutched her heart that threatened to show itself out. Why did that felt so wrong? She asked herself again and again and again... but there was no answer just the echo of the same question in her head.

Feeling as tired as hell, she felt the energy drain out of her body, leaving no amount of strength to stand. She slowly slid down and reminded herself to continue breathing... why couldn't she just fall in love with Aaron? Why does it have to be so damn complicated?

Why did she have to be so confuse about the simplest of the things? Why couldn't she fall in love with him? "Oh yeah I know... because I'm a retard!" she cursed herself silently.

---------