━━ five

────────────

( the library )

( the library )

────────────

────────────

━━ Mila nearly made it a whole week before getting a detention. She was pretty impressed with herself. The last time it had been that long was back in fourth year, and that was only because she had been busy trying to help Harry with the Triwizard Tournament. )

The detention was Malfoy's fault, yet again

He started baiting her in potions, and she'd gotten so annoyed that she hexed him. It wasn't anything special, just a bat bogey hex, but it had caught the eye of Snape, and he was making her stay back after class to clean cauldrons again. He always made her do that. She's cleaned those bloody things more times than she could count.

She sat on the floor in the middle of the room, using an old, dirty rag to wipe the inside of a large cauldron she had sat in her lap. If she could picture a more laborious task than scrubbing cauldrons, Mila had yet to encounter it. It was also extremely boring. )

It wasn't the brightest decision, but as Snape sat at his desk in silence, she decided to break it.

"So ... professor, have a nice holiday?" She looked at him hopefully, but he just grunted in return, and she rolled her eyes animatedly because she knew he was pointedly ignoring her.

She gave a large sigh, half hoping he would tell her off. He didn't even look up from the parchment he was scribbling on. She did it again, louder this time and he lifted his head to look at her. She gave him a grin, and this time, he was the one to roll his eyes.

"Do you think your antics are amusing, Miss Lovett?" he drawled.

She held up the hand that wasn't scrubbing, "What antics? No antics here, sir. I promise."

"I'm delighted to hear it," he said, not sounding that delighted at all. He went to start scribbling on his parchment again, but she interrupted it.

"It's just that ... sir, there is this little thing called NEWTs coming up. Sort of an end of year quiz if you will, and I've kind of made plans to study with someone." She knew this was a long shot, but hell, it beat silence.

"I'm sure Mister Potter will cope without you for at least five minutes," Snape said knowingly, and Mila gave a sheepish smile.

"Not possible," she urged, "It is detrimental to his health if I'm not by his side for all hours of the day."