━━ thirty one

────────────

( first year )

( first year )

────────────

────────────

━━ The first time Mila stepped onto platform nine was in nineteen seventy-one, and she had never imagined anything like this before. 

Magic existed. 

Magic was real

It was the kind of thing children dreamed about, and it was the very thing that saved her from the only life she had ever known. She had a purpose now: her life and her peculiarities finally made sense. All she was left to figure out was how to navigate this new world.

Alone, with a suitcase in hand, she tried to work out where she was meant to go. She kept her eyes out for other people her age. She saw a tall, gangly boy, with two parents who looked fairly old to have such a young child. The boy himself looked older too, not in his face, he still had the looks of an eleven year old child, but his eyes carried something Mila recognized in her own. He had probably grown up too quickly, the faint scarring on his face proved as much. She watched, startled as he and his parents began running towards a wall in the middle of the station. Mila was about to call out to them, but they had──

They had gone through the wall. They were no longer standing on platform nine.

Now, Mila knew the magical world would take some getting used to ( the Hogwarts teacher who had found her had explained as much but she did not realize that running full force toward a wall was part of the deal. That was just asking entirely too much.

She glanced back down at her ticket, the numbers nine and three quarters were mocking her as they glinted on the paper. The frown on her face was deep, but someone must have taken pity on her, because she soon felt a tap on her shoulder.

"I was skeptical of it too, I thought my parents must be having me on."

She turned around to find the owner of the voice. A boy, taller than her, with shoulder-length hair, giving a killer-watt smile that would make many a girl swoon in the years to come.

She didn't miss a beat, "You mean I'm really going to have to put all my faith in the hope that I'm not going to break something if I run at this thing?" She gestured to the brick column.

Something in the boy's eyes ignited. A small spark. The start of something, barely there, but hard to conceal.

"If it helps, I'm told it doesn't hurt."